Reading Sheet Music for OS X (HELP!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stinar007, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Stinar007 macrumors newbie

Stinar007

From Minnesota, currently living in Zushi, Japan.
    I'm a 26-year-old piano novice who has been playing the piano for about 8 years. My mechanics are good and I'm playing somewhat advances pieces half by ear and half by memorization (i.e. Moonlight Sonata, Comptine Du Tre E'te, Pathetique, etc.), but there's one problem: I can't read music! Okay, I can read music laboriously (Every Good Boy Does Fine, FACE, etc.) but what I really want to do is take it to the next level using my Macbook.

I've looked far and wide for a free, downloadable flash type software that allows me to quickly see musical notes flying by on sheet music where I can type - not click - to identify them and help increase my ability to read music faster. Even better, I'd love to be able to connect my Casio using a MIDI connection. As a teacher, I know the way my mind works and I'm certain this is the best tool for me.

I found this in Note Attack, but it's an exe file and I'm having a heck of a time getting it to work on my Macbook and I'm sure there's millions out there. Does anyone know of a free download that is compatible with Apples? Or anything in the ballpark of what I'm looking for? Puhlease!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I haven't tried it but maybe this suits your needs.

3. Stinar007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stinar007

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I checked out the sight and it's exactly what I'm looking for. But, unfortunately, when I went to download the file, I got this:

Not Found

The requested URL /synth.hqx was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I'm going to keep looking. Thanks again! I do appreciate the effort.

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There's a note in the text that says it was available at download.com

You might want to try there.

5. Stinar007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stinar007

Thanks. I found that site last night. It's good and it will very helpful, but I was hoping to find something where you didn't have to click. I goes much slower if you have to point and click. I'm hoping to find something on a treble or base clef so I can read sheet music faster. Thanks for your help though! I feel I'm getting closer.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

There is this game for piano study, Synthesia. It uses a piano roll system in the default configuration but apparently has a "learning pack" where you can enable sheet music mode. I'm not entirely sure it does what you're looking for though.

It seems to support MIDI keyboards as well.

7. Stinar007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stinar007

Thanks!

SaSaSushi, this is above and beyond what I was looking for! I was just hoping to find something to study musical notes, but this is much more interactive! Thank you.