Reading the Tea Leaves (Apple's Health)

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by nathanjbrown, Apr 10, 2015.

1. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

It didn't occur to me until 3:07am (EDT) that Apple's health may be in jeapordy. At 9:27am, my fears were confirmed with the state of MacBook availability...

Watch was never ready for launch. Don't be fooled into thinking that the Watch's shipping times slipped due to astronomical demand. They simply don't have units to sell. What limited inventory they had of Sport sold out quickly (before the store.apple.com came online). And it seems as though Black SS was never available (indicating June from the get go). This points to manufacturing and - likely - product development issues.

Then I learned (just a few moments ago) that Retina MacBook inventory isn't showing up in stores. Sounds like more development and/or manufacturing trouble.

I don't own stock in Apple, but - if I did - this would concern me.

Sure. It's possible that I'm reading too much into this. Regardless, I went from being a prospective buyer (Black SS Watch) to an Apple fan waiting for gen 2. Apple Watch is decidedly "1st Gen."

2. TS19 macrumors member

So because they may have limited quantities, you have established that the Watch is not good enough to buy now?

OK mate.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

We get this every year with the iPhone so what's the difference? Honestly demand outstripped supply but in all fairness that's just fantastic advertising on apples part.

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Only on MacRumors can "sold out" be parlayed into "Apple is DOOMED"

Haha, I love you guys. :cool:

5. Scott-n-Houston, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

We're seeing either supply chain issues or a very conservative approach to inventory. Neither is deadly and both can be fixed.
    Apple has more money than the U.S. Treasury. They're not hurting for the long term, and i think they can afford to fix these "problems" if they are truly problems.

I personally believe they take a conservative inventory approach and combine that with the old Barnum and Disney "leave 'em wanting more" mantra. The sold out inventory does not bother them. They know they'll sell it.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

No, he's saying Apple is doomed. Doooooooooomed!!!!!!

7. cardfan macrumors 65816

As a stockholder, it's all about the iphone. All I see is in the news today is that the Watch is doing well and selling out. Winner so far. Doesn't really matter what the true story is as this is gen one. Macbook Retina? That's pretty irrelevant anyways.

8. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

remind me to never get my stock picks from you...

9. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Please name any Apple product launch the last 5 years that had 100% availability on day 1?

Every iPhone I've ever bought on launch I'd had to wait 4-6 weeks to actually receive.

It makes perfect sense considering the Apple Watch is a new product line and interest is hard to gauge.

10. DJTJ macrumors regular

Does Apple really have more cash than the US treasury? Holy cow, that's amazing! :eek:

11. nathanjbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Look to my first post: "Don't be fooled."

I've been a die hard Apple fan for 15+ years. I have family who work for Apple in Cupertino. I've owned every iPhone made (always buying within five minutes of availability). Etc. It pains me to see them slip.

And I've gone from buyer to non-buyer because the absence of Watch inventory (coupled with less than stellar reviews) indicates to me that this product isn't ready for prime time.

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Orange is the new black. :)

13. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Apple Watch sells out? Apple's doomed! Plenty of Apple Watch stock available? Nobody wants the product, so Apple's doomed!

14. nathanjbrown thread starter macrumors regular

FYI. My stock picks (and buys) over the past three years:
    • ZipCar
    • Avis
    • Tesla
    • SolarCity
    • Under Armour

Admittedly, I should have bought APPL.

15. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

16. TS19 macrumors member

Didn't they just post the biggest quarterly profit in history?

Yep, they've 'slipped'.

17. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

The rMB is showing 1-3 days shipping time for me. Such a long wait :rolleyes:

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I've never been one for, this wouldn't have happened under Steve type statements.
    But someone once said to me and it rung true, there is definitely something Steve had that Tim doesn't. Tim doesn't have Tim working for him.

19. Whtchdr macrumors member

When you're going to carry 30+ models of a brand new product line with no sales history, it's probably a good idea to be conservative with inventory until you find out what your customers like. The later shipping dates mean they will probably be "built to order" thus leaving Apple with little unsold inventory in options customers aren't responding to.

20. DJTJ macrumors regular

21. nathanjbrown thread starter macrumors regular

They've got a lot riding on the Watch, regardless of their most recent quarterly report. They need a new product category to drive growth. And if I'm right and they're struggling behind the scenes to provide a user experience that Apple customers expect, then - yes - they're slipping.

22. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Was debating between tesla and aapl after the split. Got aapl, glad I did.

23. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

What evidence do you have that they are struggling?

24. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...with-software-update-ahead-of-april-24-launch

If they want to load the fixed software on it before it ships, that will delay shipping, and I can easily see Apple not telling us the release date is being delayed. That would screw up a perfect launch.

I bought the Watch at 2:03 on my iPhone in the app, right when the store opened for me, and I'll get it a month late? Doesn't sound right.

I think they are reloading software. These Watches are supposed to be in boxes, how can they give them a software update before shipping? By delaying them.

25. nathanjbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Lack of inventory.
    42mm Space Gray Sport shipping estimates slipped within 90 seconds of SOS. That's not demand. That's either A.) poor planning or B.) manufacturing problems.

Not to mention more luke warm reviews than I've ever seen for an Apple product.

----------

This was in response to:

"What evidence do you have that they are struggling?"

----------

I bought Tesla at $34. Sold at $225.

And I bought a turbo diesel with my "winnings." :)