Reading the time

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sammich, Apr 24, 2015.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I've not had a lot of time think this one through, but I've had a quick discussion with someone.

You're all probably well aware of the short delay before the Watch Face shows up. Mine is set to always go back to the watch (analog face, with the arms).

This morning (Australian time, I've had my watch for 24 hours now), I found myself looking at the Watch to see the time but most times, I find that I put my arm down without actually getting a reading of what the time is! I've not worn a watch for about 13 years, but I think this problem might also present itself to regular watch wearers watching Apple Watch.

My thoughts on why this might be the case:
    • on a watch where the clock face is always visible, you can start getting preliminary readings on the time/finding the location of the minute hand before it reaches the position where you get a full/final read. So that when the final reading happens, you basically know the time already and after a very brief pause, you can lower your arm.
    • on the Apple Watch, you can't get any reading until the watch is fully in reading position in front of your eyes, and after you've waited the ~0.5seconds until the face appears. Now, you spend another ~0.5+ seconds just focussing on the hands to read them.

So we end up with a read time of, say, twice as long as a watch with an 'always on' face.

Back what I said about not quite reading the time before lowering my wrist: I think there's some built in expectation (won't say muscle memory) that I should already have read the time already, so I'm automatically putting my arm down. As I'm writing and practicing leaving my wrist up longer, it feels like a rather unnaturally long period to keep my arm up just to read the time.

I'll get used to it, no doubt (or hopefully). Just some thoughts I wanted to share.

2. ihatephish macrumors regular

3. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

This is why I'll likely use one of the digital faces.

4. Slcflier macrumors newbie

I have to look at my phone (before I got the watch) several times before I actually comprehend what time it is. I think it's cuz you get distracted by how cool you new watch is and your brain doesn't actually get the info you were seeking. The same thing happens when I get a new watch.

5. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I have had this happen to me with the phone too.