Reading videos captured using iMovie in Windows

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rezatayebi, Sep 27, 2010.

1. rezatayebi macrumors regular

One of my friends has captured about 500G of videos using iMovie. Now he has to edit those videos in Windows.

None of those videos are readable in Windows. What is the best and easiest way to convert videos to a PC readable format?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As iMovie used the Apple DV or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), you could try using QT Pro for at least reading the DV encoded ones. If that friend used AIC, then there is no way I know of, as AIC is meant for Mac OS X.
    That friend can try to use MPEG Streamclip to batch process the video though, either in Mac OS X or in Windows.

You could also try Handbrake, but that application uses too much compression to use the video for editing purposes. What about using MPEG Streamclip on Mac OS X and batch converting it to whatever format the editing application likes, the one your friend is going to use on Window?

3. rezatayebi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot.
    MPEG Streamclip does the job very well. However he`s going to use EDIUS to edit his film and EDIUS has to render every single video. What format would you suggest I convert to?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know EDIUS, never used it. Maybe you or your friend should take a look at the manual or help, that came with the software and inform yourself about what container/format (.mov, .mxf, .avi, ...) and codec (DV, ....) Edius accepts.
    There should be a section how to properly prepare footage before importing from outside a camera.
    I can't find any manual of Edius online, thus I can't provide further help in regards with Edius.