Reading with 6S Plus with one hand?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smirk, Oct 13, 2015.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hi, I'm trying to decide between a 6S and a 6S Plus, and am having a tough time with it. I usually read in bed before going to sleep, where I lie on my back and hold my phone up (upside down). Using the Kindle app, on my iPhone 5 it's very easy to swipe from page to page without dropping the phone on my face. For those of you with "Plus"-model phones, is holding the phone in this manner easily achievable with your larger-sized phone?

Thank you!

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I have the 6S+ and love it, but use it by my side in bed. Have just tried doing what you said, and it is totally doable, but not sure how long for as it is a little cumbersome without having gravity on your side. FWIW, my hand/glove size is 7.5 if you know what that means.

3. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Great, thank you. Although I'd like the big screen of the 6S+, I think I'll probably go with the 6S, because I seem to mostly use phones with one hand. I guess people use them differently -- in talking to my wife, it came out that she always uses two hands with her iPhone 5.

Thanks again!

4. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

I would imagine that with a simple app like Kindle, one handed use will be very easy although if you have small hands it may hurt the inside of your palm a little after say, an hours use. The size only really becomes an issue when you constantly need to reach across different corners of the screen having to adjust your hand positioning to suit or constantly using reachability.

I'd say if your reservations are limited to the Kindle app then go for it but if you're fully committed to using one hand for everything all of the time then the Plus model is not for you. For me the extra screen and OIS was enough to sway me but I'm happy to use 2 hands all of the time apart from when in bed, then any falls are caught by the mattress :p

EDIT: It seems noteworthy to mention that my hands are probably typical of a male around 6ft+, even though I'm 5'7". If you have quite small hands then the Plus model is certainly not a one handed phone.

5. welsea macrumors member

welsea

I one hand my 6s plus in bed but I would not say it's easy to do so if you have small hands. I have pretty long fingers so I manage just fine in whatever position I choose.

If you want a really easy one hand grasp the 6s is the way to go.

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I use my 6 plus mostly one handed as well.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If one handed use for the kindle app is all you are worried about you should be fine. Don't expect to be able to do anything more complicated than swipe pages with one hand though.

8. Anand953 macrumors regular

Try both the phones extensively at an apple store or borrow from a friend.. At the end of the day, go with what you instant gut feeling says...