Reading Word files with hyperlinks or embedded objects

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cjane, Jan 4, 2010.

1. cjane macrumors newbie

I'd like to be able to read MS Word 2007 documents on my iPod touch, that have in them either hyperlinks (relative) to mp3 files or embedded files which are mp3 files. Is there software apps that will allow me to do this?

I want to be able to read the word file and click on a hyperlink or embedded object and hear the mp3 file play. Any ideas?

I've looked at 'Documents To Go' by DataViz but not sure from the information on their website if it will do what I want.

Many Thanks
    CJ

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

First of all, in order to do this, the hyperlinks would have to be absolute, because neither your word document nor the mp3 files would be in the same relative folder relationship they were on your computer when you transfer them to your ipod touch. Also, even if you did find an app that would open hyperlinks from within a Word doc (and I believe there are apps that do that, but I don't know them off the top of my head), I'm not seeing how you would transfer the mp3 files so that they can be referenced by the hyperlinks. I think you are trying to go about this the wrong way. If you want to stream mp3 files from your computer to the touch, there are apps that do that. If you are trying to do something else, please explain, and perhaps someone can help you figure out how to translate that into the ipod/itunes ecosystem.

3. cjane thread starter macrumors newbie

Hyperlinks in Word document on iPod

Okay, here's a bit more info.

I am studying Japanese and while I'm studying I write notes in a Word document. I also have stacks of mp3 files while contain vocabulary words, phrases and sentences in Japanese. While I'm studying, in my Word document I can create text and convert the text into hyperlinks which, when I click them, plays the short mp3 file containing someone saying the word/phrase. This great for when I'm studying with my laptop, but I'd also like to review the Word file on my iPod.

I have the GoodReader app and can use it to transfer the Word files and mp3 files to my iPod. So I can get the Word file and mp3 files in the same directory. GoodReader will also allow me to read the word documents and play the mp3 files individually (not from within the document). The hyperlinks appear as hyperlinks but clicking on the them just generates an error of file not found.

I dont know enough about the iPod file structure, and what I can and cant do with a non-jailbroken iPod, but I seem to be close to a solution, if I could just get the mp3 files in a place where the hyperlinks can point to.

Thanks for any help
    CJ

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I happen to have GoodReader, so I tried making a Word document with a hyperlink to an mp3 file, and uploaded both the Word doc and the mp3 file to GoodReader. I then opened the Word doc in GoodReader, and clicked on the link to the mp3 file, and I got an error message telling me that "Audio and video files can't be opened via web-link."

So, one, you are doing something different than me when making the hyperlink in your Word files, and two, even if we managed to fix that hyperlink, GoodReader wouldn't work for your purposes.

I think the question is how much work you are prepared to put into this. On the one hand, I think there are ways to achieve this, which might or might not involve jailbreaking your ipod. On the other hand, I'm afraid it wouldn't be as simple as just copying your Word documents and mp3 files to the ipod -- it might require, for instance, that you convert your Word docs to html, and you learn simple html coding, just enough to fix the hyperlinks to point to your mp3 files on your ipod.

P.S. Nihongo wa mutsukashii desuka? ;)

5. cjane thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like your links are trying to open a web page, or maybe use the browser app to open the mp3 file. The message I get is "File Does Not Exist This link points to a file that does not exist".

I've checked the link is relative, and tried to put in a "Hyperlink base" in the Word document properties to "./" This didn't work. Also tried setting it to "///var/mobile/Media/DCIM/" thinking I could put the mp3 files in this directory using iPhone Explorer, but they still could not be found.

Also saving as a PDF file and reading with GoodReader but still no luck. Also tried using embedded objects rather than hyperlinks, but these are not even recognised as embedded objects.

Not sure if Docments To Go will be any better that GoodReader. I've lodged a question with their support. I'll also look into the html route, I have some exerience in creating web sites. Also happy to look into jailbreaking as I'd like to use Ankimini on the iPod.

Thanks again for your help.
    hai, mutsukashii desuyo!
    CJ

6. cjane thread starter macrumors newbie

I have manged to acheive what I want by using the Download Manager app. I can save my Word files as html. These contain relative hyperlinks to mp3 files. I transfer these plus the mp3 files to Download Manager's application on the iPod. When I read the html files in Download Manager on the iPod I can tap on the hyperlinks and it runs Quicktime and plays the linked mp3 file. Job done.

This may also be possible using the Documents To Go application, but I was unable to test it without buying the full application. With Download Manager I was able to test it using the Download Manager Lite (free app) version which was very useful as I could verify it would work before buying the full application, which I did. No jailbreaking was required.

Cheers
    CJ