Ready for an IPhone? Tips to End Your Existing Cell Contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illegalprelude, Jun 27, 2007.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/news/2007/06/iphone_howto

this is one of the most awesomest (yes, real word) things ive read in a long time!

2. pr5owner macrumors 65816

there is some truth to it,

the easiest way is to sign your agreement over to someone else, sell your phone for free and just get rid of the contract (will need 3rd party to accompany you to a store as they get ID from both of you)

telling them your moving overseas will usually do the trick as well

3. JEEPER macrumors newbie

HMMMMM.... on with sprint now....im moving to canada ;)

well seems like i have to fax them any type of paper work with my name and new canadian address ...and then i'm done with them

NO PENALTY....NO 200.00$

WOOOOOOHOOOOO

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

last one is just awesome lol but these do have me thinking. Mostly the one about the contract and them having proof

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I have an aunt who lives in the middle of nowhere in Maryland where no cell phones work (CRAZY I KNOW. No broadband either :eek:). I should say I'm moving there :D

6. Fredo521 macrumors member

I did that with my friend. I gave him my Razr, and he is using it and everything. At the end of the month he gives me the money for the bill, and I pay it :)

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Attached Files:

8. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

This is great. I can use my parents address where NO CELLS work.

9. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Wow, I didn't know that transferring contracts was fine with the carrier, I always thought it was just a really iffy and seedy prospect. Good to know!

10. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ive been stooped! (also real word!) :D

ive hope this has helped some people because ill be getting an iPhone tomorrow and depending on how I like it, i might cancel from Verizon and jump ships

11. OnlyMarcusCannn macrumors regular

AHAHAHA, that caught my eye, too.
    Funny. :)

As for these "tips", be very cautious when you do these, especially if you do the change of address one. I've heard of some trying to use the same addresses that had already been changed to with Sprint before, and 2 months later they ended up with a bill from Sprint demanding a termination fee.

Scary.:eek:

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I looked at one of those cellwrapper trader sites earlier today, but really $200 term fee, I just got $100 credit on my bill from them just for bitching about their network, that leaves $100. $10-15 for the cellwrapper post + the hassle leaves me with $85-90 + the hassle. I'll pay the $200, call it $85-90 and be done with it.

That is if and when I decide to get one. I'm locked till next March, so before then, but I will definitely wait till next week to see the demos and hear user reviews and maybe till mid-July for new Macs.

13. Jeffrey903 macrumors member

Can anyone tell me where they see this in the contract? I live in a dead zone and have zero cell service at my house (from any provider). Does this let me off of my Verizon contract?

14. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

OK, this is tricky, but this might work. See, the deal on moving where there is no service is that they cannot provide you adequate service in your area. What you need to do with Verizon is call and complain about your level of service.

READ YOUR CONTRACT. See what it says about service in your home. That is your out. If they cannot provide service, they are in breach, so you can get out.

Convincing them of that may be a whole other matter!