Ready to bin my Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tonyr190, Feb 6, 2015.

1. tonyr190 macrumors newbie

So after upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.2 (10.10.0 & 10.10.1) the wifi issues continue!!!!

when I turn my mac on I go into safari and launch a webpage... about 20 seconds later if I click a link the page will not load at all!

I then try to access my NAS drive I cant even browse that either!!!

if I disable my wifi then the enable it again and try the above it does again the same thing! ive also tried deleting my wifi profile and reconnecting to my Sky Hub router and has made no difference!

this is really p***ing me off! I spent 1700+ on my MacBook Pro Retina 13" for something that doesn't work.

so all you MacBook users please can you help me try out!

Im at selling point! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try downgrading to Mavericks?
    What about taking it to apple for diagnostics?

Yosemite has some bugs regarding wiifi, so this probably what is causing your headaches. The only answer if that is the case is not to run Yosemite.

3. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't downgraded to mavericks as yet. I don't really want to unless there is a built in recovery function within my MacBook to revert back to Mavericks?

taking it to apple for diagnostics is going to be two weeks before I can be seen which is a complete joke! im tempted to give their tech line a call later but my 90 days has passed.....

ok you say that, but all the new MacBook's that are being sold from new out from the apple store come with Yosemite installed as standard so you think they have the same problem?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Look up wifi issues and Yosemite and you see a lot of people complaining.

You requested help, and I offered my opinion. Its either software, i.e., Yosemite, in which case downgrading to a more stable version is your only option, or its hardware and in that case you'll need apple to replace/repair the computer.

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Have you tried connecting to a different wifi network? It could be your router or just your environment.

Try taking it to an Apple Store or somewhere with free wifi. See if it behaves the same way.

6. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

wasn't coming across ******. thanks for your help mike, ill look into what you said.

Thanks again.

----------

Hi Arran,

I was thinking of doing that. ill try that also.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No worries, I didn't take it that way. I was just trying to convey that to my knowledge there's only two points of failure, the hardware and the software.

Arran brings up a really good point, the router. Try a different wifi network to see if that helps.

Also try resetting the SMC This has proven helpful when it comes to some wonky hardware symptoms.

8. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I see something about SMC, how do I go about resetting that?

9. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

You sure it isn't your sky hub playing up? Are they as useless as bt homehubs?:D

10. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about that, when I was on Mavericks though everything was fine.... im gonna try and connect to another Router.

11. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

from apple:

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
    Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
    Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

12. cairene2011 Guest

I have to say after the iOS 8 upgrade I had to purchase a new BT hub, because the old one (model 3) could suddenly not stream to my iDevices anymore. Connection kept dropping every 2 seconds... It was infuriating. :mad:

With the new Hub (BT Homehub 4) everything works perfect again and since it offers dual band, no more streaming issues either. Definitely check your hub, it might be too old for Yosemite just like mine was incompatible with iOS 8.

13. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Downgrade to Mavericks, trust me.

My MacBook now runs flawlessly again.

14. avalon68 macrumors newbie

Ive been having the same problem with a sky hub - im still on 10.6.8.....so not sure yosemite is entirely the problem! I had no problems at all with a Virgin router....so I think its router related. I havent solved my issue - however, setting a static address for my mbp drastically improved the situation. Now it only disconnects once a week or so rather than every 10 min. I also played around with the wifi channel and changed away from the default. Even when it disconnects from the sky router, it manages to pick up one of those free BT hotspots....so Im convinced my problem is not with the computer.

15. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i decided to disable my bluetooth yesterday as i use that for my apple mouse.

ever since then I've had no disconnects and everthing has been working fine....

so my question how do i go about fixing this issue?

16. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

after speaking with apple on the phone..... they said that the best thing to do was to install Yosemite Fresh!

i did this.... made no difference.... trip to the apple store i go....

bluetooth disabled with wifi on no issues, mac works sweet! bluetooth on with wifi enabled not so sweet :(

17. cairene2011 Guest

There can be an interference if your Wifi operates on 2.4 Ghz, because apparently that's too close to the Bluetooth (even Microwave) frequency. Try setting your Wifi router to 5 Ghz and see if there is still an interference with Bluetooth!

18. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If your machine supports Handoff try disabling it, that seems to hammer the Bluetooth which then in turn interferes with the WiFi, hence turning BT off helps.

19. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

cairene2011

unfortunately I don't have 5GHZ option on my router :mad:, Ill look into this...

Hi Simon,

yes my mac does support handoff how can I disable it?

20. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Preferences/General and Uncheck the "Allow Handoff between..." setting near the bottom.

21. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Can't you just take it to apple and have them look at it?

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I feel for you. My 2012 rMBP under mavericks was a disaster on Wifi, though i have to admit, its solid now.

Sadly Apple seems to have dropped the ball on Wifi in the recent retina macbook pros. Be it hardware or software, its not really good enough.

I would recommend Mavericks, I know its not the best advice, though its better to have an OS that Wifi works on, instead of waiting, from experience, Apple took forever to fix Wifi on my rMBP, I honestly stopped using it under mavericks, and once it started working under Yosemite, I started to use it daily again. Not a good experience.

----------

The problem is that it does not play nice on certain routers :( From my experience.

23. tonyr190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mildredop,

apple remoted into my mac and created a new user account to see it is was just my user experiencing it or if it was system wide. turns out it was system wide, the said I don't believe it to be hardware I think its software so I recommend you freshly install the OS which I did and hasn't helped.

MH01,

I need to try my laptop on another router.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If you have the some issue on other routers, this will be annoying, if its just your home one, well you have a few options, you can of course get a new router, also I would check if there is an updated firmware for your router.

Lets hope its the router, though from experience if had bad luck with my rMBP and wifi, its solid right now, though bit worried everytime I update the OS.