Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Based on the 2015 rMBP threads that I've read, there are two primary issues with these computers:

1. Screen quality - the consensus seems to be that the Samsung displays are better but scarcer, and getting one is hit or miss
2. UI lag under Yosemite - most likely a result of poor software design, which means that it can be remedied with a future OS X update

I'd prefer to see both issues resolved before replacing my 11" MBA, but that's probably not going to happen in the next month or so. For those who've already bought a 2015 13" rMBP, do you wish you'd waited?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have the 2015 13" rMBP, and have no regrets on this purchase. Screen quality is perfect (no yellow tint, no unevenness, etc.). So far mine doesn't even have the UI lag issue as well. For me this was the perfect one.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
Based on the 2015 rMBP threads that I've read, there are two primary issues with these computers:

1. Screen quality - the consensus seems to be that the Samsung displays are better but scarcer, and getting one is hit or miss
2. UI lag under Yosemite - most likely a result of poor software design, which means that it can be remedied with a future OS X update

I'd prefer to see both issues resolved before replacing my 11" MBA, but that's probably not going to happen in the next month or so. For those who've already bought a 2015 13" rMBP, do you wish you'd waited?

Seems like you hit it right on the head. I don't experience UI lag in OSX, but I do experience issues with multiple tabs open (some with streaming videos) in Windows 8.1 via bootcamp. Didn't experience that issue with my 2014 model. I'm certain they're driver related and will be fixed via a future driver update though.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I picked up my 13" rMBP last week. I have no regrets. I don't experience stuttering or freezing in Yosemite and my display seems fine (no yellowish tinting).

Although there have been exceptions, many of these problems get blown out of proportion by a select few and it causes people to assume that just because those people are having problems, it must be a problem inherent in every unit. The people that do have problems get very vocal on forums and often, it creates a breeding pool for FUD.

I even read a post the other day about a guy returning his new 13" rMBP because the fan behaved differently from his last one, even when he was assured that the behavior was normal on the new Broadwell models.

Last edited:

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
If you need it; go for it. I am NOT saying one shouldn't be concerned with making a large purchase and the quality of it BUT I however do feel some issues are exaggerated. On my 2nd 2015, exchanged first because I wanted to bump to 256gb, and they have both been great machines!

Good luck, and enjoy. Don't stress about it unnecessarily.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Bought my 2015 rMBP 13" at nearly the end of March and I have been very, very happy with this machine (i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD). Screen is beautiful, no lag anywhere -- no problems with it at all. If you need and want a new rMBP now, then go ahead and get one!

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I guess the main point here is that if you want a computer, buy the one you like and don't worry too much about whether the machine is going to develop some odd problem that someone else's machine had down the road. No manufacturer is perfect, really. After all, they're all playing out of the same pool hardware these days. What sets Apple apart from most of the others is their user experience and customer service. Without those two things, you have a pretty box with x86 guts that runs OS X.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Bought mine the day it released. Screen is perfect, even, and no stutter or lag here either. I am loving the Force Touch, I would absolutely buy it again.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
I don't see how you would be concerned with buying a 2015 Macbook Pro. Seriously you won't be disappointed with the performance, if you have some hickups or anything, just take it to the store. Part of what you pay for is support from Apple. Don't let the vocal bad experienced users ruin you getting a fantastic laptop

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
I have the 2015 13" rMBP, and have no regrets on this purchase. Screen quality is perfect (no yellow tint, no unevenness, etc.). So far mine doesn't even have the UI lag issue as well. For me this was the perfect one.

had mine for about 2.5 weeks and i haven't had any problem as people were complaining about either lol

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I don't wish I'd waited - I'm very happy with my machine, though I *have* seen it do some weird stuff (getting a black screen with only a cursor after wake - it returns to normal after about 30 secs, some lags in safari when nothing else was running).

I expect that the issues I've seen are entirely software-related and either they will go away with a software update or they won't. If Apple chooses not to fix them, then they'll be around whether you buy a machine today or a year from now. And if Apple chooses to fix them, they'll be gone, again regardless of if you buy your machine now or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.