Ready to buy, but 21.5 or 27 screen?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InternetDude08, Dec 18, 2009.

1. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

OK folks, so I checked out the iMacs today in person. I'm convinced they're the way to go.

Anywho, it's hard to tell which one is best for me. The iMac 21.5 or 27 screen. Right now my Acer laptop screen is 14" so I think the 21.5 will be plenty big.

Aside from checking email and browsing the net I use Dreamweaver. And that's about it. Is there any real advantage for me as a web developer to go to a 27? I spend sometimes 14 hours a day in front of my computer and I think the big one might be too much.

I'm leaning towards the 21.5 but can't return it because I'm customizing it. I'm going to order direct and get the RAM & CPU upgrade along with some preinstalled software (iWork & FinalCut).

Thoughts... comments... suggestions? I plan on ordering later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

go with 21.5 and use the extra money on your software and upgrades

3. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

If moneys not the deciding factor definitely get the 27". I'm now on a 23" from a 21.5" and I much prefer the extra size over the 21.5".

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you can wait, I'd wait until they upgrade them (rev B) to new hardware...

5. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not worried about the cost. I am kind of in a hurry, I want to buy it before year end for tax purposes...

I put my 32" LCD TV on my desk and marked using masking tape the different dimensions (21.5 vs 27) and I actually think the 27 would be too big for my desk and workspace configuration even if I moved it back further away from me. So 21.5 it is... and I can keep it basically as close to me as I want ;-)

Thanks.

6. HMBgal macrumors newbie

I think it depends on your space. I have my brand new one on a desk in a bedroom and the 27" would have blown my hair back. I really don't think it would have been comfortable to have something that big that close to my face. It's funny how much smaller those screens look on the sales floor than they do in your home. My husband and I just bought this one a couple of days ago and we couldn't be happier.

7. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

I just purchased the 21.5, and I feel it is the perfect size. Thats as big jump from 21 to 27, and was far too large for my tastes.

8. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

I went to both Best Buy & Future Shop today to look at them and on the sales floor... yes it was hard to tell just how big the 27 is.

I asked the salesman about this issue and he said that the 27 is better suited if it's like in a living space and you watch movies on it, etc. But I just sit in front of it working on it all day.

Oh, and besides, I have an extra 19" Dell monitor I could plug into it if I found I really needed extra real estate.

9. orangerock macrumors regular

It's all a matter of space and preference, but IMO, I could not imagine routinely sitting in front of a 27" screen. My 21.5" feels much bigger at home on my desk than it did in the stores.

10. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the order is placed. Now the wait begins... I guess I need to get my hands on Dreamweaver CS4 for Mac now...

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

ordering direct is a waste of money vs performance.

So you are looking at $1900 for .27 mhz upgrade and 8 gigs of ram from Apple.

IF it was my hard earned money, I would get the 3.06 for $1350 AR

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10684961

Add two 2 gig sticks for $100 and bring my total to 8 gigs. Ram can be installed by you in minutes.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/

So for $1450 -- $450 less than getting it from Apple -- I have the same exact 21" iMac minus .27 mhz.

I think the $450 outweighs that?

I could take part of that $$ and buy a nice backup drive, MS Office 2008, Toast, Photoshop Elements 8, B/W laser printer, and still have enough left over to take a girl to dinner and a movie...

basic 1.5TB USB 2 drive (was $99 a couple of days ago) http://www.frys.com/product/6002338

EDIT: used that $450 for Dreamweaver CS4. =)

12. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

I would normally upgrade RAM later but I upgraded now at purchase so I don't have to do anything later (even though a RAM upgrade is pathetically easy). When it needs an upgrade I'll replace it ;-)

I got a slight discount through a trade membership so the "factory" RAM & CPU upgrade was $404. According to Crucial.com a 4GB RAM upgrade is $300. I just let Apple do it for less and it's covered by Apple warranty...

If my main concern was price I wouldn't be buying an Apple, I'd buy a generic white box PC.

13. vixapphire macrumors 6502

Hardwood? is that the upcoming aesthetic revision, then?!!!:eek:

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You read the Crucial price incorrectly.

Its $300 for a *single* 4 gig stick. 2 x 2 gig set = 4 gigs is $100.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8CFE9228A5CA7304

Thats how its coming from Apple, so you are paying a $100 premium for ram.

Apple "warranty" on ram is 1 year unless you spring for Applecare, then its 3 years. Warranty on ram from OWC or Crucial is for life.

Not sure how $404 s a "discount" since its $400 to get the upgrades direct from apple itself. Looks like you paid $4 *more* than apple charges?

The macconnection price of $1350 AR is $150 cheaper than apple right off the bat.

Heck, if you dont like macconnection, macmall has it for $1420 AR, still $80 less than Apple, and Amazon has it for $1450, $50 less, no rebate.