Ready to buy macbook pro.....but I have some questions:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxus, Feb 26, 2008.

1. maxus macrumors newbie

-Can I connect my samsung 22" monitor to is DVI adaptar and use has an external monitor (clone or secondary) and most important, can I use the samsung monitor 1680*1050 resolution?

-What is mag-latch

- Is 3ghz cache low?

- Is 256 vram low?

- Is 5400 rpm low?

I will be using laptop to edit video in premiere and final cut pro and to edit raw. (weddings) maybe some games too.

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Yes and yes.

There is no physical latch. The lid is held closed by a magnet.

Not sure, but I would guess no.

It's in the middle, not bad, but not the best.

In HD terms, yes. Go for the faster HD especially since you are doing video work.

Look into a good firewire 800 external to use with your video editing.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, you will easily be able to operate your screen at full resolution.

Maglatch is the closing mechanism used on the MacBook to close it at keep it closed instead of using a physical latch.

Not really, but if it is a concern, get the 2.5 GHz with 6MB Cache

Not really, 512 is better and will allow the use of new games longer, but 256 should be adequate for most uses.

No. It allows for better battery life, and the 7200RPM may be faster, but not a noticable amount and at a cost of battery life.

You will be fine with the lower level MBP, but the mid-range and a higher range will be relevant longer.

TEG

4. machspeed5 macrumors member

1) yes you can connect it. i imagine you can also use that rez. i used that rez even with my 12" PB.

2) magnetic latch keeps the lid closed, versus mechanical latch previous gen.

3) in this case the speed of l2 cache isn't what's important but the size. buy which model you can afford and worry less about the l2 cache if you dont understand it.

4) even 256 vram is largely unused since few games/products can take advantage of all the memory. the chipset is more important than the vram.

5. maxus thread starter macrumors newbie