ready to buy Macbook Pro with $2199 budget, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by umbilical, Oct 25, 2013.

1. umbilical, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, I want buy a new macbook pro... I sell my 2008 macpro... so Im a little confused, which one of the follow configuration is more fast:

13 inch yes following this config is the max config that you can
    2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

vs

15 inch
    2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

both prices are $2199

the winner in speed is?

================================
    extra question the 13 inch:

the difference in speed is a lot between this 2???????
    2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz [Add $200.00]

I meant worth add the $200 ??? or is better use the money for the 16gb of ram?

thanks!

2. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

The speed winner would be the 15-inch, but to better assist you, we would need to know some of your use cases. Are you looking for maximum portability, or maximum power?

Considering you're coming from a Mac Pro I'm guessing you want more performance than portability, so I would suggest the 15 inch.

With the 15-inch, you get twice the CPU cores but half the SSD space. You could potentially replace the SSD later for a larger size, but the CPU you get now will be the CPU you have for the entire life of the laptop. You also get the faster Iris Pro graphics with 128MB of dedicated DRAM plus up to 1GB from main memory, whereas the 13-inch has the lower-class Iris graphics and relies only on main memory for its RAM.

As for the CPU speed upgrade, I don't have enough insight to answer that question. Personally, I don't believe 0.2GHz would make much of a difference, so I would pick the RAM for improved multitasking.

Hope this helps.

3. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi, great this support is better than the mac stores ;)

well I comming from macpro but was a waste of machine for my needs... Im a graphic designer web devel... (photoshop etc... adobe) and programmer (sublime text, terminal etc...) I rarely play games but well sometimes... not a hardcore gamer and rarely edit video... sometimes but not always so... thats my needs, I need change from desktop to laptop for portability... I need work outside and go to university etc... you know, so no more work at home... I need work outside. I know that well yes I dont need a lot for adobe and code but I really hate slow machines... you know, I want run my finder fast so yes 16gb in ram definetelly.

oh!!! thats new to me, the video card iris is better on the 15 ich than the 13 inch? I have in mind that are the same! in both machines, so are different? more power in the 15...?

hd space is enough for me 256gb... system and apps etc... I have a NAS with 8TB for storage.

about cpu yes well I think is better use the money for ram... I hear always that differences in cpu are not much... I just say Im not an expert.

thank you again, more comments are welcome ;)

4. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Go with the 15" I just upgraded to a 15" a month or so ago and wouldn't go back to the 13" unless I was payed a good amount of money to. It is very nice to have!

5. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

by the way:
    when I buy a new mac I reinstall de os... becuase I dont like the a lot of apps that comes with (iphoto, iwork! by example...) that I dont need! I like everything fresh with just my need, so yes I format fast with disk utility and install the os with a usb, my question is.. that is bad? I mean is bad format fast or I need format with more passes (you know 7 passes) or is enought with fasted option???

6. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

How about 2.3Ghz 15" with 16GB and 256 GB SSD from ghe education store for under 2200$ ? ;)

7. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

education store? what is that? (sorry Im not live in USA so my way to buy is online... by the way I hate apple taxes... any other place to buy a BTO? )

8. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I'm not from the US either. But here in austria, if you are in the apple online store you can choose the education store (it used to be for students only but now works for everyone). When in the online store, in the banner (or whatever it is called) where you can choose what product you want you can switch to the edu store (it's next to refurbs and business)

9. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Good point. Edu discount is about $200 so that's enough to cover the ram.

10. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes thanks! :D I see the prices more low on the edu store, but how can apple detect if Im a student or not? how works buy with edu prices? :confused:

----------

new 15 inch with 16gb EDU price:

Cart subtotal $2,079.00
    Free Shipping $0.00
    What's This? Estimated TaxEdit(Zip Code for Estimated Tax) $145.53

I really hate taxes!

Do you qualify for Education Pricing?
    Apple offers special education pricing on Apple computers, software and select third party products to college students, parents buying for a college student, or teachers, homeschool teachers, administrators and staff of all grade levels. Students who have been accepted to college are also eligible.

11. Wuiffi, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

ready to buy Macbook Pro with $2199 budget, help!

I think they used to do it with email adress (@edu)
    Afaik they stopped, because, ...., look at their prices, do 10% matter? They trust you and do not control if you are a student or not (and let's be honest: it has allways been the same with student discount: a brother, a friend or just someone you knew was allways a student)

12. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry I dont get it... just go edu store... buy with the "low" prices and that is? they dont ask me for my name in a USA school or something ... with an id or bla bla bla ????

13. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Nope. No questions asked. Just buy it and save a few bucks :)

14. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

good thanks, anyway they charge me $110.53 in taxes! so is the same price that buy on amazon with free shipping... :(

15. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Yea, they're slick. Edu is $200 off for machine, but AppleCare is much cheaper - $100 off.

16. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Yeah and 100$ off applecare is really a lot! (It's still expensive, but the service is unbelievable)

17. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Like I say to my friends who own luxury cars - don't buy a Range Rover if you're going to complain about the price of gas. I know you're not doing that, but it's still funny that we spend thousands on a machine, yet those last few dollars are what get to us.

Case in point: I just purchased the 15"/2.6/16GB/1TB model with Time Capsule, yet I've spent the past few days looking for the cheapest mini displayport to VGA adapter. Finally realized how silly I was being and purchased one from monoprice - actually 2. If you purchase over $25, you can get $5 off. I had to buy a couple cables and that brought my total to $26. :D

I'm still trying to decide between the black or translucent Moshi iGlaze case.

Also a case. Caselogic has a model for $25 that has a pocket for adapters and small peripherals. Since I'm so disorganized, this sounds like a good purchase. OR, I can get the standard sleeve: AmazonBasics or CaseLogic. Not trying to be extra cheap, but AmazonBasics have really good quality items - I find their cables a lot sturdier than most - too bad they don't make vga adapters.

I just don't want to go too crazy with accessories or it'll be like that kid on the first day of school who wears a belt and suspenders.

What do you guys think of the black shell?

18. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

My gf is looking for a case too. I like the moshi (imo the rMBP is too beautifull for a case but if I had to choose) and the speck satin
    If I'd buy a new macbook soon I think I would even buy the apple care before the macbook itself :p - mine just had some gpu issues (3 years and 3 weeks old)

19. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Speck Satin was the other option... I agree that black is just hiding the beautiful machine.

20. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

well after read I go for the 15inch! but one more question, I really need the 16gb on ram????

the difference is a lot to 16gb?

any benchmarks? 8 vs 16? on the base 15inch model?

21. wheelhot macrumors 68020

You would want the 16gb RAM as it's not upgradeable and you're planning to keep it for the next 4-5 years, and you use Photoshop which would love to make use of more memory.

It's different, 13 only got the Iris while 15 got the Iris Pro, Iris Pro is faster then Iris

22. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

23. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks I go for 16gb

just one more thing... ARE everybody sure! that I can buy with the EDU price! without put some ID of my school or university or something... so why people buy in the normal store if anybody can buy in the EDU store with less price?:confused:

24. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Yes you can (as ling as you buy in the apple online store)
    Most people don't know about this or think they need a studentcard or something else to use it ^^

25. Benk3350 macrumors member

I just recently bought the 15" MacBook Pro and used the education discount. There was no questions or proof, just the discount.

I don't really think they would be able to find an efficient system to check, so I think if you can find the education store, they just give you the discount.