Ready to buy! Now a dumb question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KristenM, Feb 15, 2008.

1. KristenM macrumors regular

I'm finally ready to by my iPhone! I've been holding off and can't wait any longer.
    I have what is possibly an incredibly dumb question first though...
    I'm already on an existing family plan and was due for an upgrade. So this evening I "bought" a free phone through At&t's website and figured I'd sell it on Ebay or whatever. It probably won't be shipped until Monday at the earliest.
    Do I have to wait for that to ship before I buy my iPhone tomorrow and activate it which will reset the 2 year clock? I just want to make sure that if they see in the system that I've bought an iPhone and activated it that they won't negate the other phone that I just ordered when I renewed my contract.
    I'd be very happy if I could get away with buying and activating my iPhone tomorrow and still get the phone to sell.

Thanks!

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

that shouldn't matter ... go ahead and sell / activate ... you're not breaking any rules, you just found a smart loophole

3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Kristen -

Congrats on deciding to go with the iPhone, you won't regret it. I'll echo DrumJim85's comments. We have the Family Plan with AT&T too, and it doesn't make a bit of difference. You could switch phones every week for the next 5 years if you want to. The cell number is tied to the SIM card in the phone, not the phone itself.

Buy your iPhone, sell the other on (insert auction site of choice here), and live it up.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

+1
    Go for it! You won't regret it!

5. KristenM thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks guys!
    Yay! I get my iPhone tomorrow!!!

6. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

This is hilarious! I renewed my contract a couple of hours ago by phone because I had a promo for 2 months free service for renewing (only for the 2nd phone on the family plan so it's only $20, but better than nothing!) I am also getting a free phone to maybe donate or sell.

Anyway, my husband picked me up a new iPhone on his way home from work. So, I'm in the same spot. My online account says that I am not eligible for an upgrade which means that they have entered it into the system, but when I look at the details it says: Upgrade contract has been initiated. Parked equipment does not exist. TsNCs has not approved.

What the heck does that mean? So...I'm not sure if I should activate my iPhone. If I do it too early, I won't get the $20 and free phone. Not a huge deal (given the cost of the iphone), but it seems silly to not take the free stuff! :rolleyes:

Lisa