Ready to buy... Questions?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lpp71, Oct 8, 2012.

1. lpp71 macrumors member

Long story short I have a iMac intel 1.8ghz (not core 2 duo), 2gb ram etc. However for the longest time its had those iMac lines (you know what I'm talking about, I now have 100 vertical pixel lines), the video unit is going out on the mainboard because flash things will freeze the computer, and crash the flash plugin (tried other ones too), and other little odds and ends issues.

Basically I have money and am ready to buy, BUT... I play World of Warcraft (this computer can't handle it anyways because of the new expansion), actually its been 2 packs since the computer meet the system requirements to play it, but no matter its no longer playable (will you can but it won't be worth it)

Now on the the questions: I see people are saying new iMacs are coming, and I've been waiting for that, and I would wait if its the end of the month I'll buy it. But since the iMacs are 500+ old technology and not updated is there somewhere I can get a decent discount on the current iMac since its so old, maybe $300+ off? Otherwise its not worth it.

I use my computer for games, and a lot of work (try to do more work then play :) ) but I am not going to pay that kind of money for old tech.

Anyone know the approx actual date (there is conflicting info on here) or if there is discounts for the current iMac?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Apple has a refurb store where they sell iMacs that have probably never even been turned on but must be sold as refurbished because they have been purchased and returned. Look down the left side of the online store. WoW is old. Even the low end iMac handles it with ease. If nothing comes this month than nothing will come until late next spring.

3. lpp71 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I bought a refurb Apple before, not a good experience, friends i knew had problems too, but like I said, I would buy one if there is a company or Apple that offers a good discount the refurbs aren't a good discount either for some reason. I would just hate to switch to PC, but you buy a computer based on your needs I suppose, I've had a Mac since 1994!

Thanks for the info though worst case, maybe wait until the end of the month?

4. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I got a refurbished MacBook Pro a couple months ago and it is great, there are no problems. The refurbs come in new condition and run just as good as the new ones. They are covered by warranty and you can buy AppleCare to extend it. The prices in the refurb store for iMacs are from $200-$400 off depending on what you get. I know you said you had a bad experience with refurbs in the past, but if you get one and you aren't satisfied you could always return it within 14 days. Hope I helped.