Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Joker13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2016
Florida
So I’ve had Alexa for the last few years, but I’m done with amazons hardware. I’m all in with apples ecosystem. My question is, will the HomePod mini play nice with a more robust sound system such as Sonos? I want Siri to be my virtual assistant, but I want more capable speakers. If anyone can tell me their experience and or setups that work for them I’d greatly appreciate it. TIA!

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
So I have a couple of IKEA Sonos speakers round the house:

I can say play pop music in the lounge without an issue.

I believe for it to work though the Sonos speaker needs to have Apple Airplay capability.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So I’ve had Alexa for the last few years, but I’m done with amazons hardware. I’m all in with apples ecosystem. My question is, will the HomePod mini play nice with a more robust sound system such as Sonos? I want Siri to be my virtual assistant, but I want more capable speakers. If anyone can tell me their experience and or setups that work for them I’d greatly appreciate it. TIA!
Good luck. The software has been a nightmare over the last couple years.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’m aware, but I don’t want amazon in my house any longer.
Fair enough. I don’t blame you and I did the same a few years back but Apple software was decent then. Everything is trash now though lol. I’m actually on my way to Apple as we speak to return two HomePod minis that refuse to set up lol.

The_Joker13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2016
Florida
Fair enough. I don’t blame you and I did the same a few years back but Apple software was decent then. Everything is trash now though lol. I’m actually on my way to Apple as we speak to return two HomePod minis that refuse to set up lol.
Dang, that’s a bit concerning. Are you getting them replaced or just returning them?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Dang, that’s a bit concerning. Are you getting them replaced or just returning them?
I just exchanged them for two more. FWIW, I have nine HomePod OG’s and four Minis (besides these two) and haven’t had an issue with setting up any of those but that was pre iOS 15. When they work, the Apple eco system is unmatched but that’s a big “WHEN” lol.

Don’t know what the issue was. Just stuck for hours on “Setting Up.” Tried rebooting everything, my iPhone, my iPad Pro, my network, the HomePods, etc. Tried setting up with iPhone and iPad, the same thing. The annoying part is you can’t swipe out of the set up and let it run in the background so whatever device is used to set it up is locked into it. I couldn’t let my devices sit there unusable for hours while these things try to set up lol. Plenty of other issues lately too with the software but hopefully you have a smoother run at it.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Copied from my other thread… in case you come across the same issue:

Wow!!! Ok, this is rich… posting this in case the next poor soul becomes a victim to Apple software.

So I exchanged those two HomePod Minis for a pair of new ones and came across the same issue. Just stuck on “Setting Up” for hours. Was at wits end and decided to search the internet one more time for a fix. Fortunately, I came across a Reddit post (owe that dude a beer big time) and I own a Mac, which is another requirement. So I was right about the software being the issue and not being compatible. Apparently, the HomePod Mini can’t use your iPhone or iPad to set up if the iPhone or iPad have OS 15 installed, since the HomePod Mini comes out of the box with OS 14.X installed. The just of the post is you have to connect the HomePod Mini to the Mac via the USB-C, go to Finder, click on the HomePod Mini and select the restore and update option. I would’ve never thought about doing this…. Well, it works now. So apparently you need a Mac just to get these things connected if you’re on iOS 15. Apple is has really gone way out there!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/q3n806

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
I have 4 HomePods and one Sonos Roam. The Roam integrates easily with the HomePods and works perfectly. A friend has a complete Sonos system in his home with one HomePod mini which he uses with Siri for voice control of the Sonos speakers because he uses Apple Music. Again, all works perfectly. As for the aforementioned Siri and AirPlay issues, the Sonos system isn't glitch free either. With good wifi coverage most of your problems will be minor annoyances (Siri can be stupid). Again, good wifi is a must.

Reactions: The_Joker13

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I tried a few echos again to see if I could use them but it just doesn’t work for me. Too many apple products and too many limitations and a lack of integration. Yes software on the HomePod is getting worse but I have no inclination to get anymore echos devices and I want to carry on using my Apple TV’s which my HomePods play nice with. I can’t stand the fire sticks so I wouldn’t switch over. My experience with the echo dots I picked up during Black Friday and even the echo show 8 has been painful. Lack of control on my devices and Alexa flat out doesn’t seem to understand me. Siri isn’t great but it understands me 99.9% of the time. I feel like the echos have gotten worse as I’ve used them in the past before I went full time with the HomePods.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I tried a few echos again to see if I could use them but it just doesn’t work for me. Too many apple products and too many limitations and a lack of integration. Yes software on the HomePod is getting worse but I have no inclination to get anymore echos devices and I want to carry on using my Apple TV’s which my HomePods play nice with. I can’t stand the fire sticks so I wouldn’t switch over. My experience with the echo dots I picked up during Black Friday and even the echo show 8 has been painful. Lack of control on my devices and Alexa flat out doesn’t seem to understand me. Siri isn’t great but it understands me 99.9% of the time. I feel like the echos have gotten worse as I’ve used them in the past before I went full time with the HomePods.
I tell ya if it weren’t for the Apple ecosystem and deep integration…

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Wanted to bump this one rather than start a new one. I'm pretty much in the same boat as OP. My echos have gotten really glitchy lately. They've started getting commands wrong most of the time. Hey Siri on my phone still works pretty decently. If I get one HomePod, does that mean I can set my Beam, One, etc. to react to Hey Siri? I think that's the way I understand it.

Edit: Found a more recent reddit thread on it. Sounds like it's supported on Apple's side but not Sonos. That sucks.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Wanted to bump this one rather than start a new one. I'm pretty much in the same boat as OP. My echos have gotten really glitchy lately. They've started getting commands wrong most of the time. Hey Siri on my phone still works pretty decently. If I get one HomePod, does that mean I can set my Beam, One, etc. to react to Hey Siri? I think that's the way I understand it.

Edit: Found a more recent reddit thread on it. Sounds like it's supported on Apple's side but not Sonos. That sucks.
Hopefully more manufacturers get on board with this, including Sonos. Apple did their part. I think the Ecobee Smart Thermostat with voice is the only current device to open this functionality up. I have three of them and they work as AirPlay2 speakers, take Siri requests, alarms and timers, chime on HomePod, intercom… you name it. They’re essentially like having another HomePod so would be cool to see more devices enable this. You’d still need a HomePod in the house to process the Siri requests made on third party devices though.

Reactions: Taco1933
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.