Ready to install a new hard drive..now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tofaha, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Tofaha macrumors 6502

I have a new internal hard drive i want to replace with my old 80gb.
    How can i move all my files (and such) over to the new one?...CD/DVD? or something easier that i'm forgetting lol:confused:

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The easiest way is to be running Leopard and use a Time Machine backup.

You can also get an ext. enclosure for a few bucks, stick your old drive in it and use USB access.

This is assuming you have no other Apple computers.

3. machomer macrumors regular

If you have enclosure, use SuperDuper. It makes an exact copy of your current HD. Swap them out and that's it.

4. EB66 macrumors 6502

clone your 80gb you have in there at the moment to an external if you have one, then use migration assistant to copy your user back onto the new hard drive and everything should be the same as before

i didn't have this option before and i just burned a bunch of blank dvds and cds and transfered everything over that way but I would say it is worth it to get an external or at least an enclosure to swap drives in because the cd/dvd way is a PITA to reorganize everything and reinstall everything

5. srexy macrumors 6502a

Simplest way is to use an external enclosure and either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to do a complete back up of your existing drive then just pop out the old one and replace it with the one you've just cloned. You will have to make sure your freshly installed drive has the same name as your original drive or some apps may not work as expected (Dreamweaver - prime example).

Allow plenty of time for a full backup or you will be frustrated with the wait.

6. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I've done this several times for my computers and friends computers alike. I have always used SuperDuper and never had any issues at all.