Ready to Jail Break

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mpossoff, Mar 28, 2010.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hi I'm ready to jail break my iphone.

My iPhone is 3.1.2.

Where and how to I begin to jail break?

Marc

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wow

If you can't find the basics on jailbreaking by doing a search here or google please don't jailbreak. Tuttirials www.iclairfied.com among others.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. lindsaygibson macrumors newbie

I guess everyone on this forum thinks they are superior because they know how to Jailbreak.

I'd like to know what is the best program or whatever to jailbreak.. Please don't trash me because I don't know the correct lingo!

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You are not being trashed because of lingo...This forum is a great resource for information and we reward those that do their own research and come back to us with questions of substance that haven't been asked and answered 100's of times.

Google is your friend. So are the sticky's at the top of this forum...

6. lindsaygibson macrumors newbie

the thing is, i dont trust everything i find on the internet. and you shouldnt either. i wanted to ask some people that actually knew about jailbreaking rather than just typing in "how to jailbreak an iphone" and getting webpages full of viruses made by hackers just waiting for you to download their software to your iphone...

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

But there's a guide as a sticky post on the top of this forum...

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

more info would be helpful

what model iPhone?

if 3gs you need to know that depending when you got it you'll either be on a tethered or untethered jailbreak

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

This forum is iPhone Hacks--the very first post is a sticky and is the guide for jailbreaking. I think that is kind of what some of these comments are all about--attention to detail is the first rule of doing anything like jailbreaking--and finding information is certainly part of that.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I agree with you about trusting the internet. What I am saying, is search THIS forum as the answers are already here in detail. What we are encouraging is that you do the research here, and if something is still not clear, or you have a unique situation, feel free to post. Others learn from good questions, not generalization...I'm just sayin...

13. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

3gs, 3.1.2

Thanks,

Marc

14. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Its been 4 hours now since your original post. Are you not at all tempted to follow 90% of the advice and read about it on the forum?
    Its gotta be quicker than waiting

15. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I've been digging thanks.

Marc

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This is the thing: jailbreaking is not for everyone. Even with today's easy-to-use tools, jailbreaking is something you should only do if you understand fully not what you are doing, but how and why you are doing it (and how to fix it if it goes wrong). Jailbreaking makes fundamental changes to your phone's operating system, and those changes have consequences.

Those of us who have been here a long time know what happens when people just want simple instructions to jailbreak and don't want to put in the effort to really understand the jailbreak process: invariably they return with errors and problems, posting threads whining about how they screwed up their phones.

In my opinion, nobody should jailbreak his or her iPhone until s/he has at a minimum thoroughly read and understood the entire Pwnage Guide thread (stickied at the top of the forum) and asked questions about anything s/he doesn't understand. There just aren't any shortcuts when it comes to such things.

Please note that I am not being holier-than-thou in this opinion. I readily admit that when I first jailbroke I did not know enough about the process to appreciate fully what I was doing. But I'm not going to make it easier for anyone else to make the same mistake.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just as a couple points

you left out are you Jailbreaks on Mac or Windows? Also while Agree with your statement about not believing everything you read on the internet you do realize you are coming to a bunch of complete strangers some helpful some not! and different levels of expertise. I fail to see how this is any better then any place else and if you search here Jailbreak 3gs 3.1.2 I promise you will find all you need! here is a couple trusted tutorials from the site I refereed to in post #2 if you don't understand it find somebody that knows how to jailbreak you know. I would also recommend you spend sometime reading to decide which method below you want to jailbreak with! Good luck!

pc

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7449
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5886
    or

Mac
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7425
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5432
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5885