Ready to Jailbreak to iOS4...A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jayeskreezy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so I've been waiting awhile for this update and now that MyWi is working on ios4 there's no need to remain on 3.1.2 anymore. I originally used the Pwnage tool and have the old bootrom on my 16gb 3GS and baseband 5.11.07, but I had a few questions.
    • Do I need to update to Apple's OFFICIAL Itunes 9.2 software? If so, where can I get it or can I do it directly through iTunes?
    • Should I set up as new or restore from a backup?
    • Do I need to go and change my secure password via terminal again once it's jailbroken?
    • Does ios4 improve battery life?

Well, I'll be waiting to hear back from my knowledgeable fellow Macrumors members. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

this has 44 views? can ANYONE help? I just dont want to mess up my phone.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah you can upgrade to 9.2 iTunes via Apple. U can restore from a backup if you like.

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thx! all I needed to know. I'll do it tomorrow.

5. thundermustard macrumors regular

You got your 9.2 answer, but here are the others.
    You can make it new or restore, either way is fine.
    If you add OpenSSH and it is new then yes you will have to change it, I believe the same is true for a restore. I use Rock which ask you if you want to change it and does it for you. Sweet!!
    I think the battery is maybe a little better. Probably because I no longer run Backgrounder if nothing else.
    GOOD LUCK!

6. jamaggic macrumors member

upgrade

just so you know,,, I upgraded a factory unlocked 3gs with official iOS4 via itunes and it upgraded the baseband in addition to the firmware,,, if you do not want to upgrade baseband you might want to create custom with pwnage and upgrade to iOS4 that way.

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah im jailbreaking it-definitely not going through apple in that way...i like mywi, make it mine, bite sms, and sbsettings wayyyy tooo much. I use backgrounder like it's my job too.