Ready To Throw 2012 MBA Out of Window

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by slide023, Nov 13, 2013.

1. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

I am so sick of these damn spinning beach balls with Mavericks I feel like this MBA out of the 14th floor window. I have a very funny feeling 4GB of RAM is not going to cut it with Mavericks, at least not for me. I only speak for myself.

People were so upset about Gmail and mail.app that Apple quickly fixed that, so
    why not a fix for the spinning beach balls? I just don't understand it.

And whose brilliant idea at Apple was it to design it so you can't even upgrade the RAM?

Sickening......

Slide

2. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Have you tried reset SMC and PRAM? Or even do fresh install? If it still happened, then the problem would be in hardware.

3. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Somebody will catch your defenestrated laptop, fix it, and thank you very much!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Call Apple support and have them fix it for you. No stress, problem solved. Or you can try the alternative, vent on macrumors and never have your issue go away while cortisol permeates through your blood and wreaks havoc on your well being. :p

6. Eithanius macrumors 65816

7. aicul macrumors 6502a

If I intrinsically agree with you; I also understand Slide023. Here is a human that updates to Mavericks and the machine goes into slow drive.

Wouldn't one expect that upgrades are more than just software. And honestly that program that checks whether your iMac is compatible is not strict enough. iMacs NEED memory, NEED disk, etc. to work reasonably on new OS releases.

And my feeling is that Apple tries to pull in more computers than it actually should.

8. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I get brief flashes of the beach ball on my rMBP from time to time since upgrading to Mavericks. It doesn't need to be doing anything for the beach ball to appear.
    I gather it's quite common. There are no performance problems caused on mine.
    I'm pretty sure it is not ram-related. Even when I have 5 or 6GB of ram unused it still occurs.

9. dean1012 macrumors regular

I have a 2013 11" MBA (stock i5/4gb/256gb) with Mavericks (upgraded from Mountain Lion) and zero beachballs so I don't think it's Mavericks.

Most likely due to some app incompatibility that surfaced after upgrading.

10. slide023 thread starter macrumors member

slide023

Thanks to all I didn't throw the MBA out of the window. I've applied the patch for SSD's, I've done clean installs, I've installed over top of ML. I don't think it's related to any 3rd party software of which I run little of. It just seems to start after installing, and when I'm setting my preferences the way I normally would.

I've never had the beach balls appear under ML, which I hope would negate any hardware failure.

I'm just hoping it's a bug in Mavericks.

I'm an American living and working in China. I would have to ship it off to Singapore probably to have anything replaced if it is hardware. There are no Apple stores here in Chongqing. Closest Apple store is in Shanghai. There are authorized Apple resellers here, and that's where who I purchased from. The bad news there is because it's here in China from a reseller Apple won't do anything with it. The last time I spoke to an Apple rep who is located in Singapore.

I'll just have to wait out the upcoming updates to see if that fixes the issue. BTW I have no performance issues with slow speeds or anything of the sort. I only feel that none of us should be seeing these irksome beach balls.

Thanks to everyone for their positive input. Much appreciation!

Slide