Ready to throw my MBP in the trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CorvetteZR1, Aug 26, 2011.

1. CorvetteZR1 macrumors member

I have a 13" MBP, running OSX 10.6.8. I keep getting beach balls and slow downs to the point where the computer is practically unusable at times. It seems to be mostly related to Safari. For example, if I'm getting slow downs in Safari the whole computer starts to slow down. It's really starting to annoy me to no end. All updates have been installed, I'm currently repairing disk permissions though I'm not sure I selected the right disk. There were two options, one just said "Mactintosh HD" and the other said "160 Fuju yada yada." Well, I selected the top one that said "160 Fuju..." Is there anything else I can do to save this MBP from the hammer?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yeah, relax.

If the problem occurs with Safari it's probably a plug-in or something similar.

Do you have Flash installed? Download a Flash Blocker extension for Safari like ClickToFlash and set it so that it always blocks Flash elements until you click to activate them.

3. emettsantucci macrumors member

emettsantucci

Flash is defiantly a big reason for crashing Safari. Ive had the same sort of issues with my macbook. Another reason for that could be that there are some files in your system library that have been corrupted. If you take it on to a Mac Store or to the Genius Bar, they are able to go through and fix those. If it gets down to it, then you can back up your documents to a external drive and just do a complete wipe of your drive. When your putting your document back on, make sure that you don't just do a restore. You have to put them back on manually, or the corrupted files will be reinstalled. Hope I helped. It worked for me :)

4. CorvetteZR1 thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded click to flash and installed it. Nothing happened. I tried to find the program, nothing. I'm ready to smash this computer and post photos of the aftermath.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

*sigh*

Chill, dude. You're trying to use a Mac like it's running Windows. That's like flying a plane like you drive a car. Is that a sensible thing to do? Is it?

With Safari running and in the foreground, go to Safari>Safari Extensions in the Menu. If you install something from this page, nothing is downloaded to anywhere that you should be able to see. It's installed automatically.

To configure ClickToFlash (let's assume it already has installed since you say you "downloaded" it) go to Safari>Preferences in the Menu and click the Extensions tab.

Magic.

6. CorvetteZR1 thread starter macrumors member

I did what you told me to do and nothing is under extensions. I downloaded and installed click to flash twice. I still see nothing in safar extensions and extensions are turned on. I went to Safari/Pref/Extensions = blank. Also, I went to Safari/Safari Extensions/ = Apple website trying to get me to download twitter. This is hopeless.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You installed ClickToFlash from...where?

If you did it from Apple's site, it would be installed and running in Safari automatically with no further steps. If you actually downloaded something to your Downloads folder and ran an installer, you will have to Quit, not close, Safari and start it again.

Right click (or control+click) the Safari icon in the Dock and click Quit. Then open it again.

8. CorvetteZR1 thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded it from the click to flash website, ran the installer, twice. Quit safari and reopened, twice. Extensions = empty.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You should instead go to Safari>Safari Extensions. Find ClickToFlash and click Install. Keyword, install. Nothing more will need to be done if doing so via this route.

The new Safari may have broken the old plug-in, since Safari allows Extensions now.

Tell us how that works for you.

10. CorvetteZR1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I had to dig for it on Apple's website but I found it. Installed from the apple site and now it's working. I'm so pissed.

----------

Ok, so here's what I did:

Step 1 = Software update/Installed all available updates

Step 2 = Repaired disk permissions (though I'm still not sure I picked the right disk item to repair)

Step 3 = Downloaded and installed click to flash as a safari extension and basically turned off flash

Everything seems to be working much better now. I guess I can see why Apple has chosen to leave flash off their current mac lineup. I really don't think flash will ever be on my computer again. It basically turned my computer into a paper weight. Now, if only I could get youtube to work... :p

Thanks Cheeto, you saved my computer from the guillotine. :D

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

With ClickToFlash, you just click any Flash Element you wish to use. You can also right-click on any page and choose Disable ClickToFlash or to Load all Flash (on that page).

As well, it allows Youtube to play videos in formats that don't require Flash.

Step one with using your Mac is to forget everything you know about Windows and just let everything come natural. Click every button and search every Menu to find features and settings.

To change you settings for ClickToFlash, go to Safari>Preferences (every app should have preferences) and go to Extensions and carefully read and configure ClickToFlash's settings so that you can optimize it for your needs.

Enjoy and be patient, you'll see the light. XD

12. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

OP, have you considered using another browser instead? I keep trying to like Safari but there's always something about it that keeps me away from it.

I'd suggesting using Chrome over Safari for Snow Leopard users, there's no sandboxing feature for Safari 5.1 unless you upgrade to Lion and Chrome does. Speed is faster with Chrome, tabbed browsing IMHO is simpler, better HTML5 support, doesn't get screwed up so easily from Flash... I don't see any benefit from using Safari-anything in SL.

Even if you were using Lion and Safari 5.1, I find it to be a very terrible browser, so slow, doesn't support HTML nearly as well as the other common browsers, and security effectiveness at least to my knowledge has not been tested/confirmed by unbiased 3rd party testing.

13. CorvetteZR1 thread starter macrumors member

MrCheeto,

I don't know why you got the impression that I'm new to Mac. I've been using Macs exclusively for over seven years.

14. Rowf macrumors regular

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What is causing your problem?

Low RAM or high CPU usage?

What you described is abnormal for a Mac. If under warranty, contact Apple for support.

16. CorvetteZR1 thread starter macrumors member

Chrome is excellent. I use it all the time. My problems were almost entirely related to Safari.

17. n8236 macrumors 65816

Remove all Safari plug-ins
    Remove Safari
    Disk Utility
    Reboot
    Reinstall Safari
    Test - not slow? Continue
    Install plug-in 1
    Test - not slow? Continue
    Install plug-in 2
    etc...until you find out what plug-in is causing the slow down.

If all else fails, use FF :apple:

18. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I'm using lion and I find that safari also slows down to a crawl every once in a while, especially when I use the reading list. Shift-command-L to open or close reading list will make safari freeze for a second and freeze again when I close it. It's also a system wide response. Opening reading list, then opening another app from doc also responds very slowly. How can something so simple as a "reading list" do this? Just to be sure, I did a clean install of lion after I found it to be very buggy on top of snow leopard. But this still happens.

19. poopmonster666 macrumors newbie

Reinstall Snow Leopard. The computer should have come with a disc titled "Mac OS X Install DVD." Back up important files with an external hard drive, or go to ADrive and store up to 50GB of files for free. You'll have to compress apps though.