readynas duo compatability

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Travis Bickle, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Travis Bickle macrumors member

Hiya all, i currently have a readynas duo at the centre of my home network. I have music, pictures and movies stored on there which i access from my pc, laptop, mobile phone and my TV's making it a pretty decent home media setup.

I'm looking to make the move over to an imac as my main computer with which i will then rip any of my CD's and DVD's and store them on my server, my question is once i get the imac will it integrate seamlessly with the server? I think the current HDD's in the server are formatted in the NTFS format and are mirrored (2x2Tb) or will i have to reformat them and reinstall every file?

Also, if there is an issue with integration, how do i go about making it possible to read/write files from the imac as well as the pc's?

Cheers all.

2. Travis Bickle thread starter macrumors member

wow! 72 views and no answer!! :eek:

come on guys, don't be shy! ;)

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I have a readynas NV+.. It works fine.
    But I don't think mine can support NTFS raid.. If I remember right the format it formats the drive in ext3/ext4 file system.
    I can connect NTFS drives through usb and share them, just cant write to NTFS.

Anyways it is irrelevant of what filesystem a NAS drive uses since you will not be connecting directly to it over USB. Since you will be connecting over network all you need to make sure is the NAS drive supports a sharing protocol which the mac can connect with (which it can).

So, you are safe and shouldn't have to change a thing.

4. Travis Bickle thread starter macrumors member

Ah right, i had no idea about that! So it can all be left as it is......perfect!

cheers.