ReadyState for OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matajuro, Dec 20, 2008.

1. matajuro macrumors newbie

Does any one know of any program out there that is the equivalent of readystate for windows, that would work with OS X. readystate is if you think back to being in school where the admin has the computer to completely reset it self to its original state when you reboot it any thing that was changed like the dock or a app trashed or files moved is reset back the way it was originally.

I work for a mac reseller and I basically am the IT guy for the mac department (not officially I sell them too but the real IT guy doesn't do anything as far as the floor models so...) I want to be able to have a single state for every floor model i have that will revert back to its original state at the end of the night (we get customers that trash apps like iphoto and media that is on them a lot. IUt gets really annoying when you want to demo some thing and its not there cus some one trashed it. Now i have tried the Guest Account, that how ever only resets the home folder it wont reset the dock or any settings that are changed. If i do a simple finder option that makes it so i can't demo what the dock does and mess around with it. I want the system to be flexible but go back the way it should be at the end of the night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. matajuro thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?

Seriously? No one one here knows anything about this?

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I don't know of such an app; however, perhaps you could create an Admin account for you only, & then enable the Guest Account for demos: "When a guest user logs out, all information and files in the guest account's home folder are deleted". A guest user does not have privileges to modify apps or system files.

4. Deomitrus macrumors member

I know what you're talking about. I used to maintain 3 computers labs, and thankfully we had Centurion Guard on all the machines. Big life saver.

A little search and I have found a software version for Mac:
    http://www.centuriontech.com/products/macshieldenhanced/

Obviously this will require some money... some other (harder, but cheaper) alternatives would involve things at the disk-level like Time Machine, Disk Cloning, VM/snapshots?

Perhaps run Mac off flash drives?
    http://blog.bradbergeron.com/2006/11/howto-install-and-boot-os-x-on-a-flash-drive/

Or maybe you could make a general Time Machine backup, like a Ghost image, and just restore it on every computer at night?

5. quotemeas macrumors regular

Ask an Apple Store, as they have this type of app.