Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
just put your phone onto low power mode!!
my apple watch 4 battery now lasts a lot longer
Test and let me know?

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
How much longer do we need?

I get 2 days easily on my Watch. The only time I could see wanting longer battery life is if I'm away from home for a few days, but's that usually when I want to have the most use from my watch and phone notifications. It's easier to bring the little charging puck with me.

For me the two biggest things I've noticed with Low Power mode is email fetching stops unless I manually check it, and "Hey Siri" stops working.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I ran my S0 in Theater Mode for obvious reasons. But, not going to buy an 800.00 watch and restrict it's features. I can go two days if needed. But, I put it on wireless charger over night.

Reactions: staggerlee41

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
You should not have to turn anything off on your watch or phone for it to last all day for the average user. If you are “living” on your phone, you will have to top off as required.
The irony is that OP probably hasn't come back to this thread since yesterday because their iPhone is in low power mode so they're not getting any notifications...

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
That is the biggest negative of the Apple watch and why in the next generation, Apple has to make the battery last longer. For most people I know, one day is just not enough and there is no reason why Apple can't figure out how to make it last much longer by now.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
That is the biggest negative of the Apple watch and why in the next generation, Apple has to make the battery last longer. For most people I know, one day is just not enough and there is no reason why Apple can't figure out how to make it last much longer by now.

One day is not enough?

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
One day is not enough?

No way. It is a little watch, I expect to last at least a couple days and preferably even longer. Can't imagine anyone would think otherwise. Heck - it can't even last 24 hours with any use.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I don’t agree with what you’re posting. Mainly because, one can easily achieve over two days of better life with appropriate adjustments with Settings, like limiting brightness, haptic sensation, disabling Siri and heart rate sensor. Even though you don’t have to disable or limit those features, those are adjustments one _could_ make . The current battery life is more than sufficient and Apple is likely being generous by stating 18 hours, even though one could easily accrue over that pending usage.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
No way. It is a little watch, I expect to last at least a couple days and preferably even longer. Can't imagine anyone would think otherwise. Heck - it can't even last 24 hours with any use.
Something is wrong.

For starters, I would unpair it from your phone and set it up as new. Just turn on "Health" in iCloud sync first.

I easily get 2 days on Series 4 and up to 3 days at times, and almost as much on Series 1 for the two years I had that model.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
The real *reason* you want to have at least 2 days of battery life is dependability. I had instances where I'm too tired to place it down on a puck or slept with it on me, waking up knowing it can go through another day without being put back on the puck.

So far mine's handling 2 days like a champ (if needed) otherwise, I also charge nightly. Because gimping features on an expensive device which was made specifically to improve your interactions and communication is just not an appealing tradeoff.

I mean, it's kinda funny how Apple increased the thickness of succeeding watches for bigger batteries and LTE antennas only to go back to the Series 0's thickness.

The curse of Apple is efficiency. Once they find a way to lower power draw, they aim for the things that we wouldn't mind having (like bigger batteries). Series 3 provided the best mix of speed and battery life, even when up against S4.

Cellular support is coming soon to my country, so I'll report back if LTE idling causes a significant hit on the battery.

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
We have the celluar model Series 4 and have not gotten two days yet. So, not sure what could be wrong. But others I now with the same model get about 1 day too. Don't see why people don't want to get longer battery life. What is wrong with wanting 3 or more days?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
We have the celluar model Series 4 and have not gotten two days yet. So, not sure what could be wrong. But others I now with the same model get about 1 day too. Don't see why people don't want to get longer battery life. What is wrong with wanting 3 or more days?

Of course we all want it to last longer. But I’m not gonna turn off all notifications to make it last longer. I could make my S2 last 2 days and now on my S4 I can almost get 2 full days without gimping it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tromboneaholic

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I think, it is about deactivating features, you are personally not using.

I do not need any "training remainders" because I am not doing training stuff at all (...I am too lazy). I am walking (instead of the Tube) take the stairs (no elevator) - this is recognized... I do want to get noticed about each incoming mail etc. I listen to my music over the iPhone - the music on the watch is great, but optional to me - nice to know and to have.

Kind of optimizing the watches behavior, having the opportunity to get it "all", but making my own choice...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.