Real Estate Website structure

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by phadam, May 13, 2010.

1. phadam macrumors regular

Have a family friend who is a realtor and asked for help on building a site. Unfortunately, I don't think I am at that level to take on the task right now but I was curious as to what would be involved and how extensive a real estate website would be? client side editing for new images, text, sales, etc and the entire structure of the site? how and where would a project like this be started and built? Just a curious question. Thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's hilarious that most realtors, selling hundred-thousand dollar products, are always to cheap to pay for relatively trivial expenses (such as good photography / web site) when those things can help them sell the product.

Have you even made any web sites before?

3. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Truth, what's up with that!

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

How extensive a real estate web site would is completely up yo the client and designer/developer. It could be as simple as a single contact page, or could list currently available homes with the ability to take virtual tours and find pricing on homes in the area. So essentially, it's as hard as you want to make it on yourself.

5. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

If you don't have the skills, you could always look at some Wordpress Themes tailored to that market... like this one.

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

We just built a modular homes website, a little different, but the idea is the same (selling homes).

fullermodularhomes [dot] com

Just remember, there are no rules as to what a realestate site should look like. To make yourself unique, differentiate yourself to the competition.

8. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

But check out the competition before you make any design decisions.

Actually use their sites to seriously look for a property that would suit your tastes. How easy is it ? Whats good ? What's bad ?

Keep it fairly simple to begin with and if they have a large amount of property to sell, any search needs to be forgiving to those that don't know the area of the country.

And charge them an arm and a leg to "design" it. This may be the only fee you agree with them up front. Then charge them even more to develop it, an unexpected extra, which they'll be used to charging/fleecing their clients. Then charge them more to get it hosted.
    I mean how can you agree on a development cost before you have a killer design that they're happy with ? And again, how can you even begin to cost the hosting without agreement on the design and idea of the volume of data.

Oh, and there'll also need to be an ongoing support fee, for those changes and enhancements the site will require. Did I forget any licensing costs, ie. MySQL ? Rule 1 is make sure you get paid first.