Real expectations for iphone battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rxl125, Mar 25, 2008.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

I bought a refurb iphone from att... I don't think the battery is the best so far. What are honest expectations. I made one call today, checked my email auto every 15 minutes. Maybe about an hour of internet, 2 you tube movies via wifi, 30 min of ipod. The battery is more than halfway dead.

Is this normal?

I also see a thread that mentions that the att refurbs may have some bad batteries.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If people want to know why Apple didn't put 3G in, this is why. It sounds about right to me (I also have a refurb). I know on my laptop that Bluetooth and WiFi both are power hogs. Any data connection is going to drain battery life, and the YouTube video (how long??) probably did a bit of that. I'm hoping to get through 2 days without charging and still have a bit of battery left with all the features we have on the iPhone. But I have a car charger just in case. I'll probably end up buying something else for work (I have an iPod docking speaker thing, but one that cost $20 and isn't GSM-shielded).

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I can usually get through 2 days of my normal usage before I have to charge.

It just depends though. I had to charge it up earlier because it was down to like 20% but I had been watching a lot of videos in the past 24 hours.

4. atluten macrumors 6502

I think having your email set to check manually or at hourly intervals should be able to improve your battery life somewhat. I have my mail accounts checked at hourly intervals and after using the phone to make a few calls and using WiFi for about 15 minutes every day, I am able to get through 2-3 days before I feel I need to charge the phone again. You can also lower the brightness of the screen to improve your battery life, maybe half way or a little lower.

5. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Can you please tell us the total battery usage since last full charge. And we will see.

6. Rojo024 macrumors member

What are you getting for usage since last full charge numbers? My battery life seems a but short. I get around 3 - 4 hours of usage. Mail is set to check Hourly. Wifi is always on as well.

^ beat me to it

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just used mine a bunch today (checking out a lot of Web apps, "ooh, do I have e-mail??" etc. etc.) and ran the battery down to about 1/4 charge according to the meter at the top right. I had wifi on about half the time and was playing iTunes songs a decent bit (maybe an hour total). I don't really see it as that bad considering all that I was doing. AFter the novelty wears off, I'll probably stop doing so much, but I don't see going more than 2 days without recharging it. But after I get something to recharge it with at work, I don't see this as much of a problem.