Real general erros message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silberfarb, Dec 26, 2009.

1. silberfarb macrumors newbie

Trying to listen to ram.asp audio file via Real Networks 11.0.1. Getting a "general error" message. Help?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't have that app, but just a wild shot in the dark: can you find a plist file associated with it? Move it to your Desktop, then try again.

3. silberfarb thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the rookie query - what's a Plist? It seems the only option i have is to click on an icon to play the audio file.
    thanks!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Plist files are preference files for applications. They live in ~/Library/Preferences, where ~ is your home folder. The one you want is probably called something like com.real.realplayer.plist.

5. silberfarb thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

since you call yourself a rookie...

Be aware that there are different Library folders. I know you repeated the path from the post before, but are you sure you went to the correct folder? The Home folder is the one with the house icon. And, the plist name given was just a guess...

7. silberfarb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I found it and moved it to my desktop. Still getting the error message. Other suggestions?

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Was RN running when you moved the plist file to your Desktop? If so, it was still using that file when you tried again, and therefore you didn't test anything, because you did not allow RN to create a new plist file. If you've rebooted by now, there should be a new plist file in the folder you moved the other one from. That should reset things to default settings. So, try again.

9. silberfarb thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that too, no difference. Plays easily on PC.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Are you sure that you don't need a different version to be compatible with your OS (which you haven't identified, by the way) ?