Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Hey Guys!

This is a 13 inch, I7 upgrade, 16GB ram upgrade, and 256GB disk
Seeing a huge huge influx of reviews that don't actually mean anything, benchmarks that only benchmark the day to day usage of TURBO BOOST. So.. I figured i'd outline everything i'm doing for a full 8 hours on the MacBook. I use it for work, so i'll update throughout the night as I actually USE it, not just bench it. 90% of my work is web browsing with LOTS of tabs. I'll have anywhere from 40-50 tabs open on each screen ( i use three screens now on my 2013 15 inch ), but for now, i'll have to stick to using just the MacBook screen, so i'd say anywhere from 50-120 tabs, etc. The laptop is fully charged.

for anyone curious... you can actually charge the laptop rather quickly with this bad boy : https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-230...253&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=nav+power+23000+mah

Laptop came with 95% charge, I charged it to 100% in about 8 minutes on the power brick, and the power brick wen't from 100% down to 96%.

Screen brightness is at 4 bars before max.

The device was on from 1:30 -2:00PM CST i installed 1pass, listened to music through speakers at 20% volume, and did a few updates, battery dropped 10% during this time. afterwards, I watched some. leaving me with 90%

From 2:00PM until 2:30 PM, i watched youtube, never modifying settings, obviously turned off apple music by this point, using speakers to listen to youtube. Battery dropped another 7%. Leaving me with 83%

From 2:30PM - 3:00PM, i did light browsing, ended things at losing another 3%, leaving me with 80%

From 3:00PM - 4:00PM, lid was closed, i was in a meeting.

From 4:00 - 4:19 I noticed some things going on with 1 password that were a bit frustrating, spent some time googling, reading the blog, etc. Battery life at this point is bad... I'm down to 71%

From 4:19 - 4:23 - Geek Bench Single score, 3158, Multi core, 5751, at this point battery life is down to 66%. For anyone curious, those multi core speeds are on par with an AMD Phenom 2, black edition. Very very poor (IMO)
This was with a 13" BTO with 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, and the 6567U i7 3.3GHz

From 4:23 - 4:39 - Forced to restart due to finder crashing after attempting to delete a multitude of files from my desktop. Battery down to 56%.

4:40 - 4:54 downloading microsoft word, installing, etc. While waiting for word to download, I figured i'd run yet another black magic disk speed test. After all of that crap.. battery is at 44%
Write speed : 1319MB 1.3GB/sec Read speed : 3GB/sec During this time, when i wen't to options, and select " Select target drive " finder crashed.. yet again, laptop forced me to quit the app. Not sure if this is just more bad OS issues, or just a app that's not ready for sierra? also.. in case anyone was wondering. I compared the read / write to a late 2013 with an I7, and 1TB disk ( SSD ), and it got 650-700MB write, and 750-800MB Read. Not bad at all.. but complete and utterly destroyed with the new MacBooks. Installation on the windows app ... took quite a bit of time, way more than it should have.

As of now, laptop is at 44% and closed.. i'm not happy, not even a little bit. Well, at least not with battery life. The touch bar IS gmmicky, but it's nice. If you use the built in password manager for safari, the touch bar helps. It's important to notice how much they focused on this touch bar. I can use youtube controls on the touch bar, and on any site with videos, images, etc. The touch bar does make things a little easier. Plus, it's just nice to see it, it's got a matte display, it's useful, IMO.

Battery life aside, performance wasn't that great. People keep seeing how they notice it's faster.. I don't, I have the highest CPU you can get in the 13", and it's not any faster. In fact, general tasks took longer than expected IMO. I know it's indexing, and all that jazz, so i'll redo the exact test tomorrow and see if my battery percentages stay on par with what they are. When I open it back up.. i'll go ahead and do some more updating to my thread. This is NORMAL usage for MOST people. No photo editing being done. I did have about 35 tabs opened, the touch bar doesn't do well with so many tabs imo, and becomes useless. It did not lag or anything, but it does work.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
I was listening to the Upgrade podcast and I think it was Jason who said that before he runs geekbench he opens activity monitor. He looks for any process that may interfere and he also does not bench a new computer right away. I've seen high 8000+ for your i7, something is not right or running in the background.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I was listening to the Upgrade podcast and I think it was Jason who said that before he runs geekbench he opens activity monitor. He looks for any process that may interfere and he also does not bench a new computer right away. I've seen high 8000+ for your i7, something is not right or running in the background.

I'll chalk it up to indexing, and i'll run it again on a full charge. in a bit here.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
I'll chalk it up to indexing, and i'll run it again on a full charge. in a bit here.

You just got it. It's spotlighting all the files you copied over. Read the "non TB" thread. People (including myself) are getting 14+ hours of battery life in normal usage.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
okay.. so i think i might have found the issue. I re-ran GB 4 , this time in 64bit.. oops. and the scores are much more presentable. I got the following :

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/1058448

Single core : 2948
Multi Core : 7569

Still a lot to be desired, it should be in the high 8k range... and the single core should be about 1k more. However, it's only a few hours old, so i'll leave it be. still love the thing though :)
[doublepost=1479264016][/doublepost]
You just got it. It's spotlighting all the files you copied over. Read the "non TB" thread. People (including myself) are getting 14+ hours of battery life in normal usage.

i wont refute that, but when the thing is sucking down 60watts an hour... i'm not sure how on earth you guys getting anything past 6. I'll have to assume it's spotlight. Even with 6 - 7 hours, i'll survive, i was just hoping for me. And it sounds like i'll get it.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
okay.. so i think i might have found the issue. I re-ran GB 4 , this time in 64bit.. oops. and the scores are much more presentable. I got the following :

Still a lot to be desired, it should be in the high 8k range... and the single core should be about 1k more. However, it's only a few hours old, so i'll leave it be. still love the thing though :)

i wont refute that, but when the thing is sucking down 60watts an hour... i'm not sure how on earth you guys getting anything past 6. I'll have to assume it's spotlight. Even with 6 - 7 hours, i'll survive, i was just hoping for me. And it sounds like i'll get it.

What kind of MBP do you have? It just says 13,2 - i7 with 3.30 ghz - which is not an option. (referring to your link).

Here is my 2016, 13inch, with i7 2.4 (the only option) with 16 gb RAM.

Much more comparable to every other 13" I've seen.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/1058506

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA

My bad. With TB. Shame for you.
[doublepost=1479264585][/doublepost]
wow , just wow.

Yah. Just saw the title. My bad. Back to you regularly scheduled bitch session about TB vs. non-TB.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Would like to see more reports on the battery life. The first hour and a half is fine... 20% in 1.5 hours is 7.5 hours of usage. Running updates, listening to music, and doing other things, sounds like good performance:battery.

But the sudden drops you're reporting in battery life are confusing.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
My bad. With TB. Shame for you.
[doublepost=1479264585][/doublepost]

Yah. Just saw the title. My bad. Back to you regularly scheduled bitch session about TB vs. non-TB.

Haha, not comparing the two, just sharing experiences with the touch bar I7, which is a 3.3Ghz.. however, not a fan of you scoring so much higher than me lol.
[doublepost=1479264908][/doublepost]
Would like to see more reports on the battery life. The first hour and a half is fine... 20% in 1.5 hours is 7.5 hours of usage. Running updates, listening to music, and doing other things, sounds like good performance:battery.

But the sudden drops you're reporting in battery life are confusing.

Nothing much more to report really, I opened it back up at 44%, and then i did another geekbench, did some writing in word for about 45 minutes, did some dev work (php), edited some websites, knocked out a few tasks at work using confluence, and about 1.5 hours later, I had 5%.

All in all i achieved a total of 4.75 hours. Nothing to do with video editing, and nothing to do with image editing. Monitoring the power coming out, and power going in, i have to assume there is a rogue process somewhere using up so much energy. I'm looking into the culprit now.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
All in all i achieved a total of 4.75 hours. Nothing to do with video editing, and nothing to do with image editing. Monitoring the power coming out, and power going in, i have to assume there is a rogue process somewhere using up so much energy. I'm looking into the culprit now.

I'm honestly considering going for the base 13", and upgrading the RAM from 8GB to 16GB.

The upsides:
- cheaper
- slightly larger battery, plus no touchbar to drain battery further
- 16GB of RAM & still saving $$$

The downsides:
- CPU runs slower (~5-10%)
- GPU runs slower(~5-10%)
- 2 USB-C ports in total

Would like to hear your opinion, considering you have the touchbar. Do you feel the touchbar + slightly faster cpu/gpu was worth the price hike? I mean, with education discounts the gap is lessened quite a bit... but if the touchbar is part of the battery decrease :/

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I'm honestly considering going for the base 13", and upgrading the RAM from 8GB to 16GB.

The upsides:
- cheaper
- slightly larger battery, plus no touchbar to drain battery further
- 16GB of RAM & still saving $$$

The downsides:
- CPU runs slower (~5-10%)
- GPU runs slower(~5-10%)
- 2 USB-C ports in total

Would like to hear your opinion, considering you have the touchbar. Do you feel the touchbar + slightly faster cpu/gpu was worth the price hike? I mean, with education discounts the gap is lessened quite a bit... but if the touchbar is part of the battery decrease :/

The i7 + GPU upgrade might only be 5-10% individually, but combined, you're looking at a 20%~ increase in speed and reliability. Granted, my little mini review wasn't that great, i think the I7 is worth it. Once i have some time to fine tune things the way i want, i'm confident it'll be where it needs to be. You're also leaving out some other pros.

• More L3 cache
  • Touch ID ( i love that )
  • Faster Memory ( RAM )
  • and faster bus speed
It's , for 300 dollars more, worth the buy. I know it's easy to talk yourself out of it, but from a straight cost to performance ratio, it's a good deal.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Interesting perspective. I'm just on the fence about RAM costing $210 (CAD) to upgrade. I think if I go with the MBP 13", I'll get the base touchbar with the RAM upgrade, but that's pretty pricey.

But as BBD90 said... the battery life sounds horrible. If 5 hours is about what I'll get at less than max brightness, that's scary.

I get over 5 hours battery life at maxed brightness on the 2015 13" Macbook Pro. Probably closer to 6.5 maybe 7 hours at max brightness (just word processing, excel, and viewing web pages).

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Interesting perspective. I'm just on the fence about RAM costing $210 (CAD) to upgrade. I think if I go with the MBP 13", I'll get the base touchbar with the RAM upgrade, but that's pretty pricey.

But as BBD90 said... the battery life sounds horrible. If 5 hours is about what I'll get at less than max brightness, that's scary.

I get over 5 hours battery life at maxed brightness on the 2015 13" Macbook Pro. Probably closer to 6.5 maybe 7 hours at max brightness (just word processing, excel, and viewing web pages).

I'm fully charged again and I'm about to do some Xcode compiling and various other resource intensive stuff. I'll happily update progress again!

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Okay, so, fired her up with 100%. It currently says 2:54 Remaining... and it's at 100%.. I'm assuming that's because of the previous time I did this, and I only got like 4 hours, I assume it's thinking it'll be a repeat, but we shall see. It's been going for 3 minutes now , and now going down on the bar.

11:23 - installed Xcode ( downloading now ) - Battery life 100%
11:26 - downloading Slack for teams ( for work ) - Battery life 100%
Just as an FYI, I have magnet / Slack / Mail / 10 safari tabs / 1password / activity monitor opened all while doing this.
11:28 - Still waiting for Xcode to download, playing http://slither.io ( if you don't know what it is.. it's a browser game, LOTS of JS, go give it a try ). - Battery life, 100%
11:31.- Stopped playing slither.io... because the game sucks with a track pad, lol - Battery life 100%
11:32 - Xcode finished downloading, and installing now - Battery life 100%
11:36 - Starting importing my app into Xcode from another Mac. Going to take about 5 Minutes or so, battery life - 100%
11:37 - 10 safari tabs opened, needed to do some word editing to grab the bug list of the app, starting on editing word app. battery life - 99%
11:43
- Xcode import is completed, putting that on hold ( but still open ) while I finish up my editing. I've moved to a lighter room, and turned the screen brightness up to full. Battery level - 98%
11:55 - My eyes hurt.. moving back to my desk, turning the screen brightness back down to 4 bars from max. Battery life - 94%
12:11
- My app finally finished compiling, and turning on the emulator to get a good work on it. finished my word editing, and laptop is running much much better than it was previously, I guess a reboot might have helped after the indexing. Battery life - 88%, total run time thus far - 52 minutes.
12:14 - Running another Geekbench. Now that things are running so much better, I'm wondering if I can get. better score while it's not updating spotlight? I didn't realize how many files were being imported and indexed from my cloud! It seems to be done now though. been using the app in the emulator up until this. I wen't ahead and closed that while I did the GB test. nothing is running in background, and only app open is mail / slack.. so I guess technically those things are running in background :p
Multi core - 8796
Single core - 4965

These scores are so much better than I WAS getting, almost at 9k on multi core, that's pretty sick ( I mean from the last scores I got ). with that said, battery life is at 86%.
12:18 - Starting Xcode again, and photoshop. Need to edit some sprites, I'll be editing in photoshop ( using this nifty touch bar ), and manipulating some motions in LR. Should put a heavy tax on the CPU, and get above 8GB of ram. Battery life - 85%
12:26 - Finished another compile, and test in emulator, going very fast, and very smooth! battery life - 84%

Total run time on this little " mini test " was exactly 1 hour, and 6 minutes... this is so much better than I had before. This time, I was actually using the laptop to it's fullest potential . Having the emulator running, compiling XCODE projects, using word, playing games, and having about 12 tabs open is about as pro as you're going to get on this little device.. which is plenty for most people. The fast I only lost about 15% under HEAVY load, and having screen as max brightness for about 30 minutes tells me I can expect between 8.5 and 9 hours of run time. Those are numbers I can get behind.

Also.. when in safari, while editing this, I noticed the touch bar lets me edit text from within an input box, that seems remedial, but the fact they thought of it.. it's just nice. It's handy, and it's an added benefit. Obviously I won't be staying up for 9 hours tonight to see if I can actually run it down, but I'll be watching youtube on the couch for the next few hours. I predict I'll see 9 hours if I stop taxing everything.

I was at 80-90% CPU during my emulation / compiling, 15% during my little games, and about 8% during normal operation. I just can't imagine what others would need to be doing more than that on a 13 in dual core laptop honestly. I HATE waiting for XCODE to compile, I upgraded to the I7, so even 60 seconds of time saves me headache. hopefully this helps others a little, at this point I'm much happier than I was.

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015

bxsonic

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Surabaya
Okay, so, fired her up with 100%. It currently says 2:54 Remaining... and it's at 100%.. I'm assuming that's because of the previous time I did this, and I only got like 4 hours, I assume it's thinking it'll be a repeat, but we shall see. It's been going for 3 minutes now , and now going down on the bar.

11:23 - installed Xcode ( downloading now ) - Battery life 100%
11:26 - downloading Slack for teams ( for work ) - Battery life 100%
Just as an FYI, I have magnet / Slack / Mail / 10 safari tabs / 1password / activity monitor opened all while doing this.
11:28 - Still waiting for Xcode to download, playing http://slither.io ( if you don't know what it is.. it's a browser game, LOTS of JS, go give it a try ). - Battery life, 100%
11:31.- Stopped playing slither.io... because the game sucks with a track pad, lol - Battery life 100%
11:32 - Xcode finished downloading, and installing now - Battery life 100%
11:36 - Starting importing my app into Xcode from another Mac. Going to take about 5 Minutes or so, battery life - 100%
11:37 - 10 safari tabs opened, needed to do some word editing to grab the bug list of the app, starting on editing word app. battery life - 99%
11:43
- Xcode import is completed, putting that on hold ( but still open ) while I finish up my editing. I've moved to a lighter room, and turned the screen brightness up to full. Battery level - 98%
11:55 - My eyes hurt.. moving back to my desk, turning the screen brightness back down to 4 bars from max. Battery life - 94%
12:11
- My app finally finished compiling, and turning on the emulator to get a good work on it. finished my word editing, and laptop is running much much better than it was previously, I guess a reboot might have helped after the indexing. Battery life - 88%, total run time thus far - 52 minutes.
12:14 - Running another Geekbench. Now that things are running so much better, I'm wondering if I can get. better score while it's not updating spotlight? I didn't realize how many files were being imported and indexed from my cloud! It seems to be done now though. been using the app in the emulator up until this. I wen't ahead and closed that while I did the GB test. nothing is running in background, and only app open is mail / slack.. so I guess technically those things are running in background :p
Multi core - 8796
Single core - 4965

These scores are so much better than I WAS getting, almost at 9k on multi core, that's pretty sick ( I mean from the last scores I got ). with that said, battery life is at 86%.
12:18 - Starting Xcode again, and photoshop. Need to edit some sprites, I'll be editing in photoshop ( using this nifty touch bar ), and manipulating some motions in LR. Should put a heavy tax on the CPU, and get above 8GB of ram. Battery life - 85%
12:26 - Finished another compile, and test in emulator, going very fast, and very smooth! battery life - 84%

Total run time on this little " mini test " was exactly 1 hour, and 6 minutes... this is so much better than I had before. This time, I was actually using the laptop to it's fullest potential . Having the emulator running, compiling XCODE projects, using word, playing games, and having about 12 tabs open is about as pro as you're going to get on this little device.. which is plenty for most people. The fast I only lost about 15% under HEAVY load, and having screen as max brightness for about 30 minutes tells me I can expect between 8.5 and 9 hours of run time. Those are numbers I can get behind.

Also.. when in safari, while editing this, I noticed the touch bar lets me edit text from within an input box, that seems remedial, but the fact they thought of it.. it's just nice. It's handy, and it's an added benefit. Obviously I won't be staying up for 9 hours tonight to see if I can actually run it down, but I'll be watching youtube on the couch for the next few hours. I predict I'll see 9 hours if I stop taxing everything.

I was at 80-90% CPU during my emulation / compiling, 15% during my little games, and about 8% during normal operation. I just can't imagine what others would need to be doing more than that on a 13 in dual core laptop honestly. I HATE waiting for XCODE to compile, I upgraded to the I7, so even 60 seconds of time saves me headache. hopefully this helps others a little, at this point I'm much happier than I was.
Thanks for sharing this. Got really worried when I saw your first post. This doesn't seem too bad at all

hulkk

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Regarding non-TB the i7's synthetic performance gains are around 5-8%. With the same amount of money you can get 100% more RAM. In my opinion the performance gain isn't worth the money because there are no other major advantages (cache, core, hyperthreading, etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.