Real life differences between SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smacky, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Smacky macrumors 6502

Hi guys, was curious, if I were to put a MBP in front of you with
    a. Apple SSD
    b. OCZ SSD
    c. Intel SSD

would you be able to tell the difference by using the computer only (without benchmarking obviously)

Kind of like the Pepsi taste test, but for SSD performance if you will

In other words, is there a tangible difference, or are the difference in speeds only noticable in benchmarks?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Most def. there is a dif. You can read the various user reports, not just the benchmarks for a taste. I'm having the same dilemma - OCZ or Intel. I'd never buy the Apple OEM. It's a POS and overpriced at that. The only reason to buy the Apple OEM is you didn't have the nuts to open up your MBP. But that really is no big deal. Just a few screws.

I've read sporatic tales of 2009 MBP users having sleep issues, ect w/ the Vertex which makes me a bit leery b/c I don't have the patience or time right now to troubleshoot IF something does go haywire. Plus at $340 a throw, its not something you can just put aside if you get tired of fooling with, so then you have to go eBaying or Craigslisting.

So right now I think I'm going to forgo the extra 40GB of space and go for the more sure-thing that the Intel offers. It's a grueling choice though b/c of the cost and b/c 80GB is pretty tight (and not in the good way) these days.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

OK I changed my mind, but pushed the button on a totally different SSD - the Corsair P128, the faster version of the S128, which has gotten good reviews by MBP owners. The P128 uses the latest Samsung controller so that put me over the top.

4. mumper macrumors member

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Am getting the apple one , Am getting it more for durability than speed, the speed is a bonus , and am too scared to open my brand new macbook pro and install it myself :rolleyes:

6. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

Don't be. It's very very easy to open the bottom lid and install new storage unit. ;)

7. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Man, these SSD drives are expensive -- regardless of the brand name.

Are they really worth that much more than a regular hard drive? Especially when a regular HD has so much more data capacity?

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you a person thats always on the go a hdd is bad , it is easy to ruined , the speed are incredible , theres some store that have computer with sdd in them you should try them , ther are amazing fast and no noise at all is sooooo quiet

9. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I'd love to see the favorable MBP reviews with the P128, as it's on my short list, too.

My plan is to buy an 80gb Intel SSD for my Mac Pro - which can fit oodles of old school HDDs in addition for everything but OS and Apps (which'll zip along nicely on the Intel) and then, for around the same money, a modern, midrange 128gb SSD for the MBP.

Is it crazy talk to think about pulling the optical drive (really use almost never on a portable) and booting from an 80GB Intel and then using the stock 320gb (or 250 or whatever) in the optical drive for data?

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you don't need extra capacity then it isn't a benefit.

My car can go 155mph but since I never go over 90, then what does it matter?

However, you do deal with hard drive access time no matter whether you are using a little or a lot of storage.

So yes, they are worth it and make a great difference, as long as the capacities meet your needs.

11. mumper macrumors member

Can you link any of these MBP reviews with the P128?

12. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

You can use this to help you to find what you looking for , mroogle

13. antskip macrumors regular

14. mumper macrumors member

So just assume that the p256 is the same as the p128 minus the difference in storage space?

15. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

16. antskip macrumors regular