real-life performance differences between last and current MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Mar 15, 2011.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey all. Just wondering. I have a 2.66 i7 MBP as per my sig, with the 1680x1050 screen. It's otherwise stock. It's that time of the year though (refresh:D) and I'm getting my usual dose of "oh-my-G-I-feel-my-MBP-is-now-so-inadequate" syndrome.

I've seen the exorbitant benchmark figs for the new gen. But what about real life speed and experience? With hyperthreading, it would be almost as if I have a quad-core anyways, and the new one would seem like an octa-core. But AFA I understand it, this would mean that if a certain app isn't optimised to run on that many cores, then it would just mean I'm stuck with the lower clock speed. I do sometimes do performance intensive tasks, and other times I just use my laptop for normal work or my own leisure.

Anyone?

2. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Don't have the new ones so can't comment on the real world speed difference but you aren't stuck with the lower clockspeed on any of the Core i-x processors. With yours, the single core turbos up if only one core is in use and the current gen will turbo up to all 4 cores as long as it stays within the thermal and power envelope.

Unless you really need it, this forum is a dangerous place to be. :cool:

3. iZero macrumors regular

I have a top end 2010 MBP 17" (passed down to my daughter now) and the top end 2011 MBP 17' in my signature. The reviews are mostly accurate about the speed. I did many comparisons between the two when my 2011 arrived, and it is quite noticeably faster, but it does depend on the task. But even doing general things, it is faster. It's faster with many things even than my 2010 iMac.