Real life speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by halogan, Nov 6, 2008.

1. halogan macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I was just wondering... where can Ifind a video describing real life usage of a MacBook Air with a standard HDD (not SSD)?

Just some load times (cold start) - e.g. Safari, iCal, Mail, iPhoto, using these; iTunes, a/v playback, HD, ...

I couldn't find it on YouTube, Viddler etc., probably just using wrong keywords.

It's been a long time since I played with it in an Apple Store and I've just revisited the idea of getting an Air.

Thanks.

PS: Bulk open of 17 apps in a review doesn't count as real life usage :)

2. twist2b macrumors regular

Are you takling about the REV A or B?
    The B is not even shipped to anyone yet :'(
    To see the SSD and HDD battled out in the REV A:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/11/macbook_air_face_off_hdd_vs_ssd_with_video.html
    Thats the best I have found.
    MANY vids.

Oh and your claim:
    SOOOOO WRONG! It totally explains the HDD's read outs! It means that the read of the SSD is about 2.5 the speed of the HDD.
    AKA: When you open just ONE app (lets go with adobe photoshop) The SSD will "boot" up the app in say 5 seconds compared to HDD 12.5 seconds.

Hope I helped.

3. halogan thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really :)) Don't take it personally.

I meant REV A, since Rev B HDD are not shipped yet. I don't forsee any dramatical improvement in graphically non demanding apps.

I said that thing about 17 apps loading at once in regards to the AppleInsider article - therefore I know about it. It's just that I don't open 17 apps at once. I open let's 5 of them - Safari, Mail, Adium, iTunes, iCal. I can wait extra 20 seconds.

I load them once in x weeks for god's sake :)

It's about how responsive the system is with that slow drive. That's what no videos (like those "uber boot time" or "look at my shiny Air") show me :/

I can't really afford the SSD option (and I don't want Rev A SSD), that's why I'm asking for some video/opinions.

No offense. Thanks for the effort.