Real life TEST Antenna issue NOT US only, depending on operator or solved by 4.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fiddler70, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Fiddler70 macrumors regular

I thought I would give you an update from Belgium. Am staying in a weak signal area. I have three networks to choose from because I am roaming: BASE, Mobistar and Bel Proximus.

Just did a real life test for anyone who is interested. Me sitting in the same place at my desk. Before and after I updated my iPhone 4 to 4.0.1.

It shows the problem is:

NOT localized in the US
    NOT depending on operator (all operators drop calls)
    NOT solved by updating to 4.0.1

My experience:

iOS 4.0

Initially the phone chooses Base and shows 2 bars

I connect the two antennas with my thumb and the phone goes to "searching"

After a minute it moves to Mobistar and shows 2 bars while I am still gripping it

When I release the phone and put it on my desk it shows 4 bars

With grip back to 2 bars.

(To me this shows that the Phone was choosing the weaker tower to begin with and did not switch correctly before dropping signal.)

After update:

iOS 4.0.1

Initially the phone chooses Base and shows 1 bar

I connect the two antennas with my thumb and the phone goes to "searching"

After a minute it moves to Mobistar and shows 2 bars while I am still gripping it

When I release the phone and put it on my desk it shows 3 bars

With grip back to 2 bars.

Bel Proximus is never chosen.

But when I select it manually from the carrier list the phone connects to the network and shows 1 bar while it sits on the desk. Even while gripping the phone that bar will not drop.

But releasing it after the grip suddenly the phone shows 4 bars!!!!

Gripping it again I go to 2 bars.

So the phone chooses the weakest network. Maybe because O2 UK has a contract with BASE and it is a setting in the phone to prefer BASE.

Curious what APPLE is going to say tomorrow. Software did not solve the issue.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

the software wasn't designed to solve anything. it's just reporting the "correct" signal now as they have corrected the formula (you know - the one they tweaked a few years back when people complained the bars were too low)

This may be an attempt to put the onus on the networks and off apple.

A smarter person might see that it could be because the radio inside the iPhone is weaker than it should be.

That argument (network vs radio) can go around in circles

3. vant macrumors 65816

Not sure where you got the idea that 4.0.1 was supposed to 'solve' the issue?

Apple was very clear in stating that it only changes how signal is displayed.

4. Fiddler70 thread starter macrumors regular

I know Apple never said that 4.0.1 would solve it, but don't tell me many people here were not hoping there would be a tweak under the hood. I just shared the experience to dispel any doubts.

Also many of you guys from the US think this is a US problem or an ATT problem. I thought this would clear up the misunderstanding.

Because I have access to 3 networks here I was able to test how 3 different networks interacted with the phone. After quite a bit of reading here I never found a report like this. So I contributed.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I never thought this was an ATT problem

I've always blamed apple for this deficit.

Apple changed the formula a few years back. Now they've changed it back. That's all that's happened (minus all the smoke and mirrors)

6. Fiddler70 thread starter macrumors regular

In London I have no issues at all. Here I have to watch out how I hold the phone when browsing.

Before I did not understand how this could interfere so much with peoples lives for them to become angry over it. Now I understand. This is ridiculous.

I have had the phone for over two weeks now with O2 in the UK. I hope I can have it either repaired or exchanged.