real o2 sim in unlocked iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jjtomo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jjtomo macrumors newbie

i am currently 6 months into an o2 contract, its not an iTariff though, i have recently brought an unlocked iphone from a friend that runs on 1.1.4, am i able to update to 2.0? i am unsure whether i will be able to update using as i am aware of a pay and go function on becoming available on o2?

Speedy Response Jack

2. emirates macrumors newbie

you can upgrade to 2.0. Your iPhone will then accept any o2 sim. I did it and it worked a treat. You can even fill out a form on the o2 website and they will change your current tarrif to an iPhone tarrif without having to extend your original contract.

3. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Should be no problem..I upgraded my unlocked iphone on 1.1.4 to 2.0 and am using an old O2 sim from a contract I took out a couple of years ago.

4. jjtomo thread starter macrumors newbie

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup. But if you want to transition your current tariff to an iPhone one then just call the activation team on O2 and they'll sort you out

6. jjtomo thread starter macrumors newbie

7. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

If you wanted an iphone tariff surely you would be far better off buying a 3g iphone on contract?

8. jjtomo thread starter macrumors newbie

worked a treat and successfully updated to 2.0 however my iphone will not be regognised and it cannot be found in itunes?

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

That entails paying £99 for the phone AND extending your contract for another 18 months

Reset the phone (hold the home/power button till you see an Apple logo and try again) and try again if that doesn't work the restore and try again

10. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

If he moved his current contract to an iPhone tariff what would that cost him/month and for how long?

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Nothing, if its a 35/monthly contract you transition for free and maintain your existing contract length, in his case, 12 months (since he's 6 months into the contract). Instead of re-starting another 18 months (18+6) which would add up to 24 months + paying £99 for the phone

12. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Ah OK...but if you were on a contract for say £20 a month you would be better just sticking the O2 sim in the iphone after updating it to 2.0.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup