real off-roaders?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rossatron, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

hey,

something that occurred to me today - are theree any real civilian off-road vehicles? vehicles with real 4X4 (not the stability control nonsense like some wannabe SUV have), locking diffs, transfer case (4H, 4L) and so on? I know the jeep wrangler pretty much has it all, but are there others?

*electric locking diffs are accepted :p

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It's no longer sold in the USA, but the Land Rover Defender has legendary off roaring capabilities.

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Mitsubishi Pajero, Toyota Land Cruiser, Nissan Patrol... You'll also find plenty of aftermarket accessories to enhance their offroads capabilities.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There's always the Knight XV. Each is hand-built and is based on a Ford F-550 Super Duty truck chassis. Optional body armor is available, which can withstand fire from up to .30-caliber assault rifle. You can also add an under vehicle blast protection system, and amenities such as a built-in safe and a defense system that offers protection against tear (CN/CS) gas attacks.

It sounds like a great off-road vehicle for touring the real back road environs, where mutant zombie militia groups might be encountered.

Priced in the $700,000+ range...

[​IMG]

5. juanm, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'm not sure a car(?) this heavy would qualify as an offroader... (maybe it works great, but to get eight tons out of the mud... I have my doubts)

The old Suzuki SJ series (Samurai/Sierra) was a real offroader (in the superlight category), and yet was tiny compared to the Knight. That said, I doubt it would be my vehicle of choice to fight mutant zombies.

Also, Range Rovers (especially older ones) are real offroaders, even though 99.95% of the time they are bought and used as luxury SUVs. Their stock suspensions flex like crazy.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

7. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

i should have been clearer in my question. i meant off-roaders you could walk into a showroom and buy and use also as an everyday car. the knight XV doesn't really fall into that category and the bowler is a hard-core off-roader, not a day-to-day vehicle.

i think the new version of the patrol gave up its capabilities for a more SUV-wannabe approach.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I hadn't seen the new one. Apparently, in some countries they still sell the previous gen. Also, many smaller pickups are real offroaders (Hilux, etc...)

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Fair enough. As above you can walk into a Land Rover show room in the UK and, for the moment at least, buy a Defender. It's basic but very capable. If you want locking diffs it's an option (beyond the center diff). It also comes with dual-range gearing (low and normal) as standard.

10. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Well, two come to mind. The Ford SVT Raptor and the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

11. r i c h macrumors member

I have to agree. My 2011 Raptor has been nothing short of amazing. So much so that after my dad drove mine he bought a 2013 and a customer of mine bought two 2013's (a supercab for himself and a supercrew for his wife).

12. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

That's most likely my next truck... LOVE that truck.

13. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

You could be more specific as to what markets you're referring to.

For example, the Nissan Patrol is available in different markets with different options. You can still order a Patrol with manual locking hubs (that you have to get out of the vehicle to engage) in one market, while it's sold as the Infiniti QX in the US.

Toyota still sells brand new 70-Series LandCruisers, which along with the Defender, is the ultimate in no-nonsense work SUVs.

Outside of those, any body-on-frame SUV from Toyota or Nissan can do some serious work - 4Runner/Hilux Surf, GX460/LandCruiser Prado, aforementioned QX56/Patrol. The appropriate vehicle depends on the what it's expected to do and the environment in which it's expected to work.

Recreational off roading is a whole different ball of wax.