Real or Fake? Your iCloud Cancellation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Does look real, but why are they asking for this and will it cancel my Apple ID?

Apple/iCloud ID

This is the final message to notify you as of 22 - February - 2015 that you have not yet updated your Apple Profile information. Under "Know your Customer" legislation Apple Inc is required to perform a verification of your information, failure to complete this validation will result in deletion of your Apple ID within the next day.

Please continue to »

To prevent the deletion of your iCloud proceed to you Apple ID settings before the scheduled deletion time.

Resolution Verification Request:

Regards,
    Apple Worldwide Support

Also got this in November, but nothing changed, as far as I know?

This notification is to therefore notify you that your iCloud and Apple Account has been momentary restricted until we can confirm your Apple and iCloud information. This precautionary measure to guard your iCloud Account from unauthorized usage. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

How to verify my Apple ID and restore my iCloud/Apple ID?
    Just click the URL below to validate ownership of your iCloud Account. Login in using your iCloud ID and password, then read the prompts.

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, much appreciated, It is the first ever one they've actually sent to my correct email and had my correct Apple ID as well, Where are they getting this info from? Something must've been hacked very well. Usually it's wrong email that I use for Apple and never any mention of my real ID

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Too many red flags with that email, such as no name, having you click on the link

As mentioned its phishing through an through.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the thing, It did have my name and correct Apple ID, I've removed it for purpose of this post

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh ok, what you provided failed to have that, so I assumed. Still its safe to contact apple directly and not use the link. That way you can be sure.

Plus you can hover over the link or copy it to a text editor to see the URL behind, that way you can see if apple.com is being used.

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

They're persistent, I'll give them that

From the 2nd September and several times since with threats of suspension, then freezing account, it's been consistent ever since with my ID in all of the emails. Plus the link goes to a page which is a clone of an Apple one, and all other links on page go to genuine Apple site. I've not seen phishing that good before, and never with my correct info

Link goes to... http://apple-authorize.info/myilogin/?email=(MY APPLE ID EMAIL removed).

[​IMG]
    My email removed

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Well, since you clicked on the link you have confirmed to them that they provided a valid Appli ID. just hovering over the link would have shown the link and confirmed that it wasn't an Apple address.

I suggest signing onto you Apple account and enabling two factor authentication. Also make sure you have a very strong password for it.

10. joemod macrumors regular

If your email account is at gmail, please do report the email as phishing. I don't know whether other email providers have this feature.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can report it to Apple here.

12. Peter Franks, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks will do, In fairness, even hovering over it I wouldn't have known if that was a genuine Apple address or not? Even going into change Apple ID, the url which is genuine, doesn't look genuine.. https://idmsa.apple.com and https://appleid.apple.com/‎ I assume it all starts with apple.com not end, so really to most, we wouldn't know

Nope not Gmail

Have done, thanks