Real Plan with AT&T or Unlock and buy a cheaper plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, May 28, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

So my family has AT&T as their phone carrier.
    I don't have a phone yet, but i did have an iPhone for a while just to use as a touch with enhanced capabilites, but i sold it to buy the 3G.

If the 3G ones do indeed become unlocked, would it be best to just buy a service with AT&T or just buy a cheap phone without 3G. The stupid thing is i don't care about 3G or Edge i just want the iPhone, i don't mind using it as a normal phone without internet everywhere.

So the question is, is it cheaper just buying a cheap phone and plan and unlocking the 3G and placing my AT&T sim in there. Or buying it directly from apple/at&t without unlocking. Am i always subjected to buying a unlimited data plan? I want the cheapest plan, but still have an iPhone? its kinda stupid... but its the iPhone...

Since my family is getting a new family plan i just thought it would be good to get the right info down.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If 3G doesn't affect you, why not just buy the current iPhone? :confused:

3. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

There is no way in hell the new phone is going to be unlocked.

4. touchyphone macrumors regular

Sounds like you just want an expensive status symbol, but your logic makes no sense ,you dont care about 3G, but want the 3G phone, and sold your current one for it? Hmmmmm, why not just keep the one you had, better yet, why not get a iPod Touch? I don't know, umm, I think I'm really confused or speechless, or more like WTF?

5. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Why don't you think the 3G's will be unlocked? Obviously apple is gonna take their measures to stop ppl from doing that, but that didn't stop ppl last year they still found a way.

Also there will be more updates than just 3G so i thought it was worth selling it, since i made back more than i paid for. Also i just bought it a month ago so i saw no point in paying for something that would lose value in a matter of months.

if indeed the new 3Gs won't be unlocked im sure i can find a cheap 1st gen iphone

6. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well im getting my own phone later this month. And when i did have my iPhone i used my parents SIMs in it and it was flawless and felt awesome to have. Its basically like a phone without internet, but you are right i like having it as a status symbol, but hey who doesn't?

7. Pantocrator macrumors member

lol- naive much?