Real Problem: Uninstall Windows from mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fantoci, Apr 17, 2012.

1. fantoci macrumors newbie

So guys here is the real deal question. imagine MacMini 2008 with uninstalled Mac operating system and with only Windows Xp Media Center **** on hard disc. My friend bought it second hand with the idea of getting rid of the Windows **** and install back Mac OS X.
    Tried to help him with 300 different ways, but nothing seems to work. The original disc is not recognized. Tried to delete the windows **** - impossible it seems. What should I do to get rid of Windows ind install back the original Max OS X

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Step 1 is always going to be "Start up from the original Mac OS X DVD".
    If that's unreadable, you can't do much else.

Are you certain the Mac OS X disc is actually for that model of Mac mini?

Does the DVD player read other discs OK? If not, you have a disc drive problem.

3. fantoci thread starter macrumors newbie

the original disc is not recognized by windows. the DVD drive works well with windows software. I would love to delete everything from hard drive and start afresh, but this virus "windows" can't be easily removed. how to erase the hard disc?

4. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

No to make it recognized,with the disc in press and hold c until it boots into the disc and from there choose reinstall Mac osx,If these instructions were too vague ill help with more detailed instructions.

EDIT:try this links:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2956

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

How to Clean Install OS X

Part One: Partitioning the hard drive

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into the optical drive, or insert the Software Reinstall Drive into the USB port.
    2. Turn on or restart the computer.
    3. Press and hold the Option key at startup to select the volume containing the installer.
    4. If your are using a wireless mouse, a mouse icon should appear asking you to turn the mouse on so that the computer can discover it.
    5. Select a language, then press the right arrow key.
    6. Click the Utilities menu, the choose Disk Utility.
    7. In the box to the left Select your hard drive.
    8. Click the Partition tab.
    9. Under Volume Scheme choose "1 Partition" (This will Erase the Entire drive, including Boot Camp Partitions)
    10. Click the Options button and make sure "GUID Partition Table" is selected.
    11. To the right of Format choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
    12. To the right of Name Type "Macintosh HD".
    13. Click Apply.
    14. After the partition is formatted, choose Quit Disk Utility from the Disk Utility menu.

Part Two: Installing the operating system

1. When the Mac OS X Installer screen appears, click Continue.
    2. When the license agreement appears, click Agree.
    3. Select the disk you partitioned. It should now be highlighted with a green arrow.
    4. Click Install. A status bar appears on the bottom of the screen while Mac OS X installs.
    5. An Additional Information screen appears, advising you that you operating system has been installed. Click Continue.
    6. An Install Succeeded screen appears. Click Restart.

Original Steps Edited from: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910