Real Problems With Applecare - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bazzy, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I am having a nightmare with Apple - I have always had Applecare on my existing & previous Macbook Pro's & have always had it confirmed by an agent & on the system. Whenever I have needed any sort of repairs or telephone technical assistance I never had any problems or was asked to provide any further proof regarding my purchases.

I had a June 2009 17" UMBP which had Applecare registered replaced under warranty by Apple at one of their London stores at around June 2010. When I enquired about the Applecare situation, the manager informed me that it would be automatically transferred to the replacement machine. I have been having issues with the replacement machine which needs to go in for repair (which can be done under the standard 1 year warranty) but Applecare Telephone has informed me that the Applecare was not transferred over & that they do not normally do that. I have to now ask for a refund for the remaining Applecare & purchase a brand new one.

The trouble is that, they are now insisting on a "Proof Of Purchase" which I do not have - I bought a boxed version via ebay from a seller who bought the wrong one - it was all legal & Apple confirmed that it was registered on their system satisfactorily - they even replaced a previous machine on it. Unless I can now provide proof of purchase, they will not now all of a sudden honour my Applecare or any refund I am due even though they verified I had Applecare & had no problems with it in the past. Can they do this retrospective action & what are my options? Does "Proof of Purchase" have to be a sales receipt or can it be anything else? When I told the Applecare person, that I still had the box but may not have the receipt & it was very unreasonable to expect people keep receipts for all their purchases made quite some time ago & as especially as I was never informed to so (and as the Applecare was confirmed to be on their system there was no need to keep a receipt), she agreed but said pretty much it was "too bad" but not in those words.

I am at a loss & would welcome any help & assistance on how to deal with this. As long as the item was bought legally, I cannot see why Apple would all of a sudden treat their customers as if they are automatically of dubious character? I feel like being made out to be a thief or something...

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you still got the emails from ebay from that time?

3. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

I have just checked - ebay do not keep records older than six months but I have been able to locate the Paypal Transaction details. This has proof that I purchased the Applecare but will Apple then say that it was not "bought from a retailer/shop" or "from an authorised Apple seller" etc?

I made every effort not to buy a code only & purchased a full boxed set - it was a genuine purchase based on buying it from someone who was selling it as they had bought the wrong one as far I know.

If Apple has any rules or issues, then why did they not bring them up at the time of register & not just out of the blue at some later date, especially when both their system & support personnel verified that it was definitely registered and all was in order when it was registered months ago? I hope you can understand my frustration!

Bazzy!

4. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Normally you should also get an email from Apple confirming your apple care coverage even if you bought it through ebay. Try searching for it. Thats the best bet

5. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

I have had 3 Applecare's & never once received any email from them - maybe things work differently in the UK but being cautious, I have always called up Applecare in person to confirm that my Applecare warranty was in place & that I was covered & always received a verbal conformation. I know this is anal but is there some way I can get Apple to check their records & verify this as are not all calls recorded?

Bazzy!

6. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

When i switched to MacBook Pro from MacBook I had the same problem with them claiming that it will be auto transferred. Later I did get an email from Apple Support for the transfer. I know this is difficult. The only other way is to check online with your previous serial number. But if you already own 3 Applecare's you better talk to Apple Support directly. They can search in their records with your previous serial number or if with some luck your email id.

Normally they also issue you some paper work when you get a replacement. That will have your previous and new laptop's serial number. May be you can call them and give the previous serial number and check

Good Luck

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Do you still have the box? The AppleCare box itself should be more than sufficient.

If not, then talking to Customer Relations might be a good plan.

jW

8. dubaimac macrumors regular

I have a similar issue today, for two displays, Apple have said adamantly that they will not honour any applecare warranty purchased that has not got proof that it originated from an authorised Apple Reseller. I now have to negotiate a refund from the seller now, and then purchase from small dog or direct from amazon, both as authorised resellers.

Apple did suggest that you email the seller first before purchasing to check the availability of the original proof of purchase before you complete the transaction.

9. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Apple has never advised me of where to purchase any Applecare & certainly that it only had to be from an authorised Apple seller - they are the ones who supply the market place with their products so they are in control of who sells what generally.

Also, they do not have any such rules of transfer of ownership between privately bought computers as far I as know, all you have to do is transfer your details to Apple - they do not ask for proof of purchase in any form so why ask for it months if not years later for Applecare - I mean, who the hell keeps all the receipts they have, especially in our case where by we have conformation from Apple themselves that the warranty is registered & active on their system & one is fully covered.

They should make it clear before purchase that proof of purchase is required & then take such details at first registration if at all.

Applecare is a Worldwide product - what if you bought your Applecare in one country & then applied it to another for a multitude of reasons - are you expected to go back to where you bought it from to another country in case you lost your proof of purchase? What if you had a theft, flood, fire etc at home & lost all your stuff, what if the retailer went out of business & you can no longer get proof of purchase? there are countless other legitimate example like this to consider.

Also, once the Applecare has been registered, it should not be down to us somewhere in the unknown future to run around chasing these things up - we have not stolen anything or acted illegally in anyway whatsoever - why should we have to be put through all this crap just because Apple takes our money, gives us assurances that we are covered & then when we need help, they then decide to change the rules & make us jump through hoops? Seems like a pretty crappy way to treat their customers whilst at the same time implying that we have automatically acted dishonourably & so must prove ourselves?

Finally, do we not live in a free market? As long as we have bought legally, how can Apple dictate where we buy things from - goods & services are not just purchased through retail avenues - Is what they are doing even legal? This seems more like how a bully boy police state would act rather than a company who values it's customers.

Does Proof of Purchase have to mean a "Sales Receipt" or can it be something else? For example if I sell something privately, I always make out a printed document detailing everything in the form of a sales receipt & get both parties to sign. Will I then next be told that "Proof of Purchase" means a "Sales Receipt" & one that has to then be ONLY from an "Authorised Apple Seller"?

I really think that sometimes we Apple fans can get treated like crap…

Bazzy!

10. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Yes, I am pretty sure I have the box - told the lady that but she was insisting on "Proof of Purchase". I will try & find out whom to write to in CS but guess what? In the UK, one has to get in touch with Apple in Ireland & they do nor accept emails - can you believe that?

Bazzy!