real purpose of SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oneshotpro, Jul 16, 2016.

1. oneshotpro Suspended

did Apple release the SE because they did not want 3 generations of iPhones for sale that look almost identical (6, 6s, 7)?

from current leaks, the 7 hasn't changed much from the 6s design which is the same as the 6 aside from one colour. I assume they foresaw this and decided it would be better to update the 5S and drop the 6 in September so there would be less consumer confusion.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Where have you been? Stuck in a closet somewhere? Apple released it due to the screen size! Nothing more nothing less.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I suspect that they also released it because sales of the 7/7+ are predicted to be low (by Apple standards) so having the SE will help with their 2016 iPhone sales numbers.

4. Savor Suspended

Savor

Mainly screen size to cater to an ignored segment. But seeing that the SE has sold well, we can also assumed it was used as a guinea pig to gauge customer interest if a third gen of the same-looking device could sell and it has. Apple is planning to do a three-year design cycle anyway. SE is sorta the first one to try although they could have easily released it last September. It was a calculated move to release it six months prior in case the 7 flops.

Good-Better-Best

iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone SE

iPhone 6
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone 7

Like Tarantino films, it works better in threes. SE and 7 will be the most refined one of their respective design cycles. The successor to the SE will likely look different or perhaps look like a smaller iPhone 8 next year and could be released with its bigger brothers. The SE and 7 is likely the final hurrah for that 5 & 6 series design scheme. Then the 2017-2019 iPhones will probably all look Samesung-ish.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

6. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Apple most likely had plans to release a 4" 6-series phone, or at least engineered one as they weighed their options, but the success of the 6 was such that they abandoned those plans.

With falling sales on the 6s, Apple decided to rush the SE to market based on a previous design, rather than manufacture a brand new model that would be outdated within 6 months, or telegraph the design of the 7 ahead of September. Apple may well introduce a flagship 4" phone in September with the rest, and allow it to depreciate until it becomes the new SE at the same price point in a couple of years. Then they may keep the 4" in the new lineup with the 8 on.

But the SE was more than a stop gap. I think Apple has come to realize that Android is siphoning market share by selling cheap phones that can compete with Apple's mid-upper tier offerings, and in order to compete, they need to offer an entry level phone that will keep up with the competition rather than 2 year old technology sold at premium without compromising their brand.

7. now i see it macrumors 65816

It's a great small size that a lot of people prefer. It's fast. It costs less too.
    Each size has its merits depending on what you want. Nice addition to the family.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Exactly this. Apple saw a market for the smaller size and put (almost) the latest internals in it. Fast phone, up to date electronics, good battery life and an audience that wants a smaller, albeit non-flagship phone.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's actually a joint conspiracy between the NSA and Apple and Obama to sell ObamaPhones

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Bingo, clearly the point of SE is for people to come up with conspiracy theories about it.

11. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Not at all. There were a load of people who thought the 4.7 model was too big and preferred the smaller size. Rather than creating a new design based on the new design language of the 6, they used the much loved design of the 5 and 5S.

12. Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

Uni Grad

That's my concern. If Apple is serious about the 4" iPhone...and plans to keep it around...I'll wait for that.

13. itsray macrumors 6502

i went from a 5s to a 6 plus, then a 5s again, sold it hated it after getting used to the 5.5" screen. and now have a 6s plus. for me its perfect for long battery life, good screen size and the size doesnt bother me in pockets.

14. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Same here couldn't go back to that size but somehow I don't mind the 4.7 model. The SE is a big step for those who never got used to the aisle of never upgraded because of the size.

15. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Well fortunately 60% of Apple's customer base are still using 4" or smaller phones, so there's a lot who never got used to a larger phone model.

16. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I thought it was slightly less than that but even so, a very large amount of people.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, they wanted to sell a smaller phone with a lower price point.