Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
did Apple release the SE because they did not want 3 generations of iPhones for sale that look almost identical (6, 6s, 7)?

from current leaks, the 7 hasn't changed much from the 6s design which is the same as the 6 aside from one colour. I assume they foresaw this and decided it would be better to update the 5S and drop the 6 in September so there would be less consumer confusion.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
did Apple release the SE because they did not want 3 generations of iPhones for sale that look almost identical (6, 6s, 7)?

from current leaks, the 7 hasn't changed much from the 6s design which is the same as the 6 aside from one colour. I assume they foresaw this and decided it would be better to update the 5S and drop the 6 in September so there would be less consumer confusion.
Where have you been? Stuck in a closet somewhere? Apple released it due to the screen size! Nothing more nothing less.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Where have you been? Stuck in a closet somewhere? Apple released it due to the screen size! Nothing more nothing less.

I suspect that they also released it because sales of the 7/7+ are predicted to be low (by Apple standards) so having the SE will help with their 2016 iPhone sales numbers.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Mainly screen size to cater to an ignored segment. But seeing that the SE has sold well, we can also assumed it was used as a guinea pig to gauge customer interest if a third gen of the same-looking device could sell and it has. Apple is planning to do a three-year design cycle anyway. SE is sorta the first one to try although they could have easily released it last September. It was a calculated move to release it six months prior in case the 7 flops.

Good-Better-Best

iPhone 5
iPhone 5s
iPhone SE

iPhone 6
iPhone 6s
iPhone 7

Like Tarantino films, it works better in threes. SE and 7 will be the most refined one of their respective design cycles. The successor to the SE will likely look different or perhaps look like a smaller iPhone 8 next year and could be released with its bigger brothers. The SE and 7 is likely the final hurrah for that 5 & 6 series design scheme. Then the 2017-2019 iPhones will probably all look Samesung-ish.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

Apple most likely had plans to release a 4" 6-series phone, or at least engineered one as they weighed their options, but the success of the 6 was such that they abandoned those plans.

With falling sales on the 6s, Apple decided to rush the SE to market based on a previous design, rather than manufacture a brand new model that would be outdated within 6 months, or telegraph the design of the 7 ahead of September. Apple may well introduce a flagship 4" phone in September with the rest, and allow it to depreciate until it becomes the new SE at the same price point in a couple of years. Then they may keep the 4" in the new lineup with the 8 on.

But the SE was more than a stop gap. I think Apple has come to realize that Android is siphoning market share by selling cheap phones that can compete with Apple's mid-upper tier offerings, and in order to compete, they need to offer an entry level phone that will keep up with the competition rather than 2 year old technology sold at premium without compromising their brand.

now i see it

macrumors G3
Jan 2, 2002
It's a great small size that a lot of people prefer. It's fast. It costs less too.
Each size has its merits depending on what you want. Nice addition to the family.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's a great small size that a lot of people prefer. It's fast. It costs less too.
Each size has its merits depending on what you want. Nice addition to the family.
Exactly this. Apple saw a market for the smaller size and put (almost) the latest internals in it. Fast phone, up to date electronics, good battery life and an audience that wants a smaller, albeit non-flagship phone.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016

Not at all. There were a load of people who thought the 4.7 model was too big and preferred the smaller size. Rather than creating a new design based on the new design language of the 6, they used the much loved design of the 5 and 5S.

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
Apple most likely had plans to release a 4" 6-series phone, or at least engineered one as they weighed their options, but the success of the 6 was such that they abandoned those plans.

With falling sales on the 6s, Apple decided to rush the SE to market based on a previous design, rather than manufacture a brand new model that would be outdated within 6 months, or telegraph the design of the 7 ahead of September. Apple may well introduce a flagship 4" phone in September with the rest, and allow it to depreciate until it becomes the new SE at the same price point in a couple of years. Then they may keep the 4" in the new lineup with the 8 on.

But the SE was more than a stop gap. I think Apple has come to realize that Android is siphoning market share by selling cheap phones that can compete with Apple's mid-upper tier offerings, and in order to compete, they need to offer an entry level phone that will keep up with the competition rather than 2 year old technology sold at premium without compromising their brand.

That's my concern. If Apple is serious about the 4" iPhone...and plans to keep it around...I'll wait for that.

Reactions: thor1996

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
Not at all. There were a load of people who thought the 4.7 model was too big and preferred the smaller size. Rather than creating a new design based on the new design language of the 6, they used the much loved design of the 5 and 5S.

i went from a 5s to a 6 plus, then a 5s again, sold it hated it after getting used to the 5.5" screen. and now have a 6s plus. for me its perfect for long battery life, good screen size and the size doesnt bother me in pockets.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
i went from a 5s to a 6 plus, then a 5s again, sold it hated it after getting used to the 5.5" screen. and now have a 6s plus. for me its perfect for long battery life, good screen size and the size doesnt bother me in pockets.
Same here couldn't go back to that size but somehow I don't mind the 4.7 model. The SE is a big step for those who never got used to the aisle of never upgraded because of the size.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Same here couldn't go back to that size but somehow I don't mind the 4.7 model. The SE is a big step for those who never got used to the aisle of never upgraded because of the size.

Well fortunately 60% of Apple's customer base are still using 4" or smaller phones, so there's a lot who never got used to a larger phone model.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Well fortunately 60% of Apple's customer base are still using 4" or smaller phones, so there's a lot who never got used to a larger phone model.
I thought it was slightly less than that but even so, a very large amount of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.