Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
I ran the update and still have all of my cars, money and gold coins. Nothing to worry about.

Also, I was able to save to the cloud and then restored to another device - everything worked fine, still have my money and cars.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Be careful if you choose to update. Those that have hacked the game and have $2+ billion dollars may lose the hacking feature cause of the update. Is a new car and a few little extras worth playing for hours just to buy a car that cost $350,000? It's not worth it. :D

My $2 billion is still there!

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I refuse to play this game because:
1. It is owned by EA.
2. Game is riddled with ridiculous in-app purchase options.

I didn't pay anything but i play it often. I also was tempted by a "starter pack" with 2 cars at few euros. Not a big deal. I hate EA, i don't like fermium games... but this one is well made, technically advanced, funny and really you don't NEED to buy anything if you don't want to.

----------

after reinstalling the game I have lost 2 x 19.99, and 1x 9.99, apple says contact the company, but I can find any way of contacting them :mad:, Apple took my money but when there is an issue, they send you somewhere else!!!!
It should be like repurchasing the apps.

Use restore purchases.

iDrinkKoolAid

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
I'm doing similar. If you think of that as "part of the game" (well, it is) it just adds another level of challenge.

Michael

grinding can be a chore, but i'm a better driver for it. both my timing for braking and cornering technique have improved. if you look past electronic arts' greed, real racing 3 has good depth to its gameplay.

----------

oh that's good to know. many thanks.

please excuse my ignorance, but i know very little about this free-money hack. i've read on a forum that you might have to start over, meaning your game progress isn't saved from before, every time you start the game. is this true?

maybe there are different versions of this hack. i own iExplorer, so applying the hack is no problem, but i want to make sure i don't get hosed. can anyone supply a link to a reliable version of the hack please?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
So is the "Cloud Save" functionality using iCloud or not?

I'm having trouble understanding why more game developers don't offer saving to iCloud. By all accounts, Key Value Storage in iCloud works fine, so I'm not sure why this hasn't become standard like Game Center integration. Games are usually large apps, so I would love to be able to delete them as needed to free up space without fear of losing my saved data.

This might be a consideration:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/0...pples-developer-community-speaks-up-en-masse/

iCloud is utter junk. It's pretty horrible actually and Apple doesn't make its troubleshooting anything remotely easy beyond trial and error - neither for users nor for developers.

Knowing Apple and them giving me the finger on my request to integrate ZFS or another filesystem that at least offers data integrity control in OS X, they are not super worried about data integrity on their servers either.
Oh and their reason to not include ZFS was that it's not owned by Apple.
No sh** Sherlocks, I added the possibility of fixing HFS in my inquiry, but no... They don't even talk about that.
So... Apple doesn't seem keen to tackle bitrot or other storage worries in the near future and I took note.
I'll chalk that up as them being snobby hypocrites, because OS X is based on FreeBSD, something they don't own either.

So maybe they don't want to license it and well, if they don't fair enough, but fix the problem yourselves then!
No, rather they'll include fancy features that look pretty.
I miss the days on non-annual OS X releases, they focused a lot more on the technological polish back then.

OS X almost seems like it's becoming more of a companion to iPad and iPhone. pfft

Glassed Silver:mac

Dieu

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
You don't "get" it because you've never played the game. As Well, this is not an issue of advertising. It's EA's blatant abuse of Apple's customers. I made it to level 90 and finally deleted the game. The further you progress, the quicker the car wears down, the longer repairs take, the more expensive cars and parts become. Buying a car and having to wait three hours to use it is one example of dozens of coercive measures this game employs to exploit your credit card. Yes, this "free game" will cost you hundreds to play.

I don't get how you can complain about the in app advertising. Apart from I don't find it's that intrusive. The game is free if I have to put up with a few adverts for a console quality game for free

pietrociao

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Aswesome game - you don't have to pay to enjoy

I've been playing a lot without spending a cent. It's really good.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
People are being way too dramatic about the whole freemium model. I own 7 cars and haven't spent a single (real) cent on anything. I also have never waited for an upgrade/service to finish or a car to be delivered. I simply switch to using a different car or I go do something else.

Honestly, I'm shocked people are giving EA any money for anything in this game. Unless you want to instantly jump to the pro cars, as soon as you download the game, you don't need to spend real money on anything. A new car takes 3 hours to deliver? So what? Go use a different car or buy it right before you go to bed.

It's a good game.

how do i use the coins that i have? i have 16 coins.

Save them up and use them to buy better cars. A few of the cars can only be purchased with gold. For example, the McLaren MP4-12C at 65 gold. Don't use the gold to speed up service/upgrade/delivery times. That's a waste.

Last edited:

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
I've been playing for a while too and haven't paid a cent. But I must admit the part about loooong waits for more expensive cars is frustrating sometimes. Also, I wish one could make more money from certain events. Cups are great and all but some of them require a fully upgraded car and that's just plain expensive.

Also, the update screwed up some event names. Event types have disappeared in certain races and now I have to guess if I'm going in for a drag race or a full blown cup. I hope they fix it soon.

Last but not least - they added a freakin' Cobalt? Are they insane? They should've added the Corvette! And what happened to STi/Evo and tons of other cars more worthy than Cobalt? What's next, Dodge Caliber?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I've been playing for a while too and haven't paid a cent. But I must admit the part about loooong waits for more expensive cars is frustrating sometimes. Also, I wish one could make more money from certain events. Cups are great and all but some of them require a fully upgraded car and that's just plain expensive.

Also, the update screwed up some event names. Event types have disappeared in certain races and now I have to guess if I'm going in for a drag race or a full blown cup. I hope they fix it soon.

Last but not least - they added a freakin' Cobalt? Are they insane? They should've added the Corvette! And what happened to STi/Evo and tons of other cars more worthy than Cobalt? What's next, Dodge Caliber?

No need for jailbreaking/hacking. Go offline, and in settings, set time to "manual", and change the time forward as convenient. Go back into the game. Done. When done playing, put the time settings in automatic again.

iDrinkKoolAid

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005

thanks so much for the confirmation! i applied the "patch" from the link mentioned earlier, and can also vouch that it works. i used DiskAid, and made sure that the "Documents" folder in real racing 3 was backed up first (you never know). the only problem is that your race progress is zero, meaning you have to start from the very beginning. although i got 100% completion in the first race series, i guess that's a small price to pay for two billion real-racing bucks and gold coins!

happy camper - now i can just focus on improving my real-racing driving skills, but not on grinding to buy some tyres.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I don't understand all the complaining. No one is forced to spend money and it's a real solid game.

And once you have multiple cars, waiting for a car to be serviced ain't that big of a deal. And since I'm not one to game for hours on end, I appreciate the forced breaks it gives you. :D

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
I've completed 30% of all the races with a golden trophee so far without spending a single €/$ on it or using any hacks in less than <100 play hours. They game is great, but quite a bit crippled by EA's way of trying to earn. A lot of my friends who started the game quickly quit because of it.

Can someone explain the hate to EA?

Because they're pushing their 'freemium' model to get you to pay a whole lot more for your games than you did before. I've you want a premium experience for in this case Real Racing 3, you literally end up spending hundreds of dollars, instead of the $ 10 or so RR2 was retailing for on the App Store.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
how do i use the coins that i have? i have 16 coins.

thanks
Save them for buying the expensive cars, that costs gold.
Can someone explain the hate to EA?
Google search

I've completed 30% of all the races with a golden trophee so far without spending a single €/$ on it or using any hacks in less than <100 play hours. They game is great, but quite a bit crippled by EA's way of trying to earn. A lot of my friends who started the game quickly quit because of it.
I played it a *lot* when I started, but only a few tracks here and there now. But that's more because I've played the same tracks again and again.

I think it is a great game, since I don't mind the waiting. I'm gold at around 25% of the tracks, and haven't payed a single $ to EA. Heck, I'm playing the game they gave me for free, so they actually loose money on me! Take that EA!

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Just when I thought EA couldn't sink any lower they prove me wrong. After the update I have found the winnings from races has decreased! Example: There was a race that if won would earn me R$ 9,700 that has now been decreased to R$ 8,700. Guess EA is trying to win worst company in the world again.

konicky

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
No need for jailbreaking/hacking. Go offline, and in settings, set time to "manual", and change the time forward as convenient. Go back into the game. Done. When done playing, put the time settings in automatic again.

I'm glad this still works after the update! Was a bit worried they might have found a way to stop it.

anvailas

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
I haven't updated RR3 yet and I want to ask you this:

With the last update, did they add new events in the existing tournaments or simply add some new tournaments only??

Thanks!

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
You don't "get" it because you've never played the game. As Well, this is not an issue of advertising. It's EA's blatant abuse of Apple's customers. I made it to level 90 and finally deleted the game. The further you progress, the quicker the car wears down, the longer repairs take, the more expensive cars and parts become. Buying a car and having to wait three hours to use it is one example of dozens of coercive measures this game employs to exploit your credit card. Yes, this "free game" will cost you hundreds to play.

Exactly. I don't mind paying for games at all. I bought the last two Real Racing games and would gladly pay $10 for this one, to own the whole unrestricted game without the "service timer" nonsense. The problem with the Freemium model is it gives the game maker an incentive to make their game annoying. With a game that you pay for up front, the maker has every incentive to design the game to be as enjoyable as possible, so the game will get great reviews and sell well, and users will want to buy other games from the same company. With Freemium games, the maker instead has an incentive to make the game enjoyable enough that you can see the potential for it being great, but then purposefully design in irritating aspects, which can of course be gotten rid of by paying money. Even so, it would be fine if you could pay a one time fee to permanently remove the annoyances, but that's not how Freemium usually works; instead each payment only temporarily removes the annoyance, so it requires a never ending stream of payment to completely enjoy the game.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
I have to laugh at all of you gotta have it now mentality types. Real life doesn't work that way. So maybe the 'real' part of Real Racing 3 is you gotta wait until you EARN the money from racing to improve your car or buy new ones.

When you take your REAL car in for service, how long does it take? Yeah, I thought so.

Get over it. The game rocks and I haven't spent a single cent, but then again, I have the patience to race other cars or do something else, like read Mac Rumors while I wait.

The said part about all the game hackers is that I bet they don't like to work for free, but they think game developers and other media creators should.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
As much as I don't like the freemium model in general, for this game I don't think it's much of a problem and I think EA felt they had no choice but to go this route. As these games become more and more sophisticated and reach console quality, cost of development goes up significantly and selling a game for 99c-3.99 would barely help break even. However, it's kind of hard charging 30-50 bucks a game on the App store. No one would buy it as they are used to paying between 99c to 5 bucks a game.

What they could do is offer an option to buy at regular price and this would reduce or eliminate wait times for those who hate 'em, while also cutting the prices of the cars as well to make them more affordable. But again, even if such an option existed, I doubt anyone would want to fork out 50 bucks on an iOS game. It's a perception issue and one that EA will have a hard time convincing folks to pay that much on a non-console game.

IMO, I have no problem with this game being free and haven't felt the need to spend money at all. I object to freemium when it's blatantly obvious that they want you spend money by making it a chore to play the game for free or getting a normal upgrade is unreasonably expensive with the in-game currency. RR3 I find is a lot better in this respect that MANY other freemium games out there. Unlike a lot of games, this game remains a joy to play even if you don't spend a single cent. The same can't be said for other freemium titles.

Two things I wish this update had though:

-Replay your last race like in RR2
-Support for airplay like in RR2

Last edited:

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I have to laugh at all of you gotta have it now mentality types. Real life doesn't work that way. So maybe the 'real' part of Real Racing 3 is you gotta wait until you EARN the money from racing to improve your car or buy new ones.

When you take your REAL car in for service, how long does it take? Yeah, I thought so.

Who wants games to be completely like real life? This arguments seems a bit like a rationalization. I do club racing in real life at a local track, and I'm a racing game fan, and have played some of the best, most realistic racing games and simulators on PC and consoles. Not one of them ever thought fit to build in wait times while your car is repaired. There's just no reason why most players would think it's fun to simulate this particular aspect of reality. It doesn't make any more sense than simulating bathroom breaks. I think it's clear to anyone who looks at this objectively, whether or not you have anything against RR3's freemium model, that the only reason this feature was added to RR3 is as a way to nag players to make in-app purchases.

Get over it. The game rocks and I haven't spent a single cent, but then again, I have the patience to race other cars or do something else, like read Mac Rumors while I wait.

The said part about all the game hackers is that I bet they don't like to work for free, but they think game developers and other media creators should.

I agree that the racing in this game is great, definitely the best on iOS so far. I also agree with you in finding it annoying to see how many people seem to feel entitled to get the game for free. However I think the Freemium pay model has caused the makers to make the game a bit more annoying than other racing games, including previous RR versions. That's my main objection, not the fact that they charge at all.

I'm obsessive enough about learning tracks well that I tend to want repeat a race until I can get first. A side effect of that is that I naturally end up earning enough gold and money that I don't have to wait often anyway, and if I do run out of gold I don't mind paying some real money to avoid waiting.

The real problem I have is that they've removed features and options that every other race simulator I've used has, clearly just to support their pay model. For example any other race simulator I've used which simulates damage, also gives you the option of turning off damage, at least when you're playing in offline mode. Players who only want hard-core realistic simulation don't ever have to turn off damage, and players who sometimes would like to practice without damage simulation can turn it off when they want. There's really no downside to offering the option of turning off damage... unless the game's pay model is based on charging players for virtual repairs.

Another example: If I interrupt and restart a race, say because I got interrupted and made a big mistake, whatever damage has happened so far still counts even though I'm restarting. No other racing game I've played, even the most realistic PC simulator, works this way. This is another feature whose purpose is clearly to steer you toward buying gold coins rather than making the game fun.

Other features (or missing features) that I suspect are motivated by the pay model:
  • No hot lapping
  • No custom quick races that don't affect career mode.

So that's my basic problem with freemium as opposed to pay-up-front -- it changes the incentive of the game maker. With a pay-up-front model, the game maker is motivated to try to find the best balance between being challenging and fun to make the game as enjoyable as possible. With a freemium model like RR3's, the incentive is instead to design the game to nudge players into making lots of little payments. Of course they still have to make the game enjoyable, but it is a different balance, and I don't like the results so far. I really hope the Freemium model doesn't catch on too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.