Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'Real Racing 3' Updated with Ferrari Vehicles and Gameplay Additions

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular iOS racing game Real Racing 3 received a significant update yesterday, with the addition of new cars, a new track, game modes, crew members, and general gameplay updates. For the first time, cars from Italian automotive maker Ferrari are in the game, including three cars such as the Ferrari FF and the Ferrari 458 Italia. Spain's Circut de Cataluyna has been added as a playable track, with the game also offering a new crew member aspect which allows users to earn in-game currency and other bonuses.

What's New in Version 1.4.0

Real Racing 3's garage is bolstered by the introduction of highly requested cars from iconic Italian manufacturer, Ferrari.

- New Cars - for the first time in Real Racing, get behind the wheel of magnificent Ferrari vehicles: the FF, the 458 Italia, and the V12-powered F12berlinetta
- New Track - experience the sweeping turns and blistering straights of Spain's famous Circuit de Catalunya
- Time Trial Ghost Challenges - learn from the best, compete with Friends and start new racing rivalries
- Meet The Crew - hire Crew Members to earn R$, Fame, and Servicing bonuses
- AI Improvements - better collision avoidance and faster times through the first corner
- HUD Customisation - tweak new settings to personalise your racing experience
- Lap and Sector Times - precise performance comparison
The game has seen numerous updates since its release this past February, from the addition of a Dubai track to the inclusion of Chevrolet cars and a major update in August that brought classic muscle cars and new events. Our sister site TouchArcade also published a review of the game upon its release that explained the title's freemium gameplay in depth, and also released a guide on how to spend conservatively in the game.

Real Racing 3 is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Real Racing 3' Updated with Ferrari Vehicles and Gameplay Additions

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Normally this would be great news.

I've tried to play this game, but the mechanisms built in that neuter the gameplay unless you throw small amounts of micro transactions make it incredibly annoying.

Comment

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Just a shame that I have to play another 70-80 hours of the game before I can unlock the Ferrari. And thats with 20 hours already played!:mad:

Comment

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009

I've tried to play this game, but the mechanisms built in that neuter the gameplay unless you throw small amounts of micro transactions make it incredibly annoying.

Before the Ferrari's, I was on the 2nd to last series, Supercar Elites, and I haven't spent a penny. You do, however have to farm for RR$ on the more expensive cars and upgrades. But once you buy your 1st few cars, you pretty much never have to wait to play anymore.

With the update, they also raised to prize money by about 30-40% and added crew so you can potentially double your winnings from time to time. I had a race this morning coupled with a 30% daily bonus (they reset it after the update) and the crew dude for RR$ and I made just over 60,000 RR$.

The only new thing I don't like is the time trials are invalidated if you leave the track even for an instant. I know they did this because some people were cheating and WAAAAY cutting through the track to get ridiculously low trial times. But now, if you skid off even just barely or slightly cut a corner your drive credit is lost and you get no percentage increase as well as no time submission. They went to the other extreme, and it makes TTs very frustrating now.

Comment

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Sounds cool, I was addicted to it before they redid the UI, I haven't played it since,

Comment

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
The only new thing I don't like is the time trials are invalidated if you leave the track even for an instant. I know they did this because some people were cheating and WAAAAY cutting through the track to get ridiculously low trial times. But now, if you skid off even just barely or slightly cut a corner your drive credit is lost and you get no percentage increase as well as no time submission. They went to the other extreme, and it makes TTs very frustrating now.

That's only if all four wheels go off the track, but I know what you mean; I ran into that last night. I don't like the fact that you are limited in the number of attempts and going off-track like this means you waste a "token," but it did force me to tighten up my play.

When it comes to the IAP portion, I will only spend the same amount of money, maybe a little bit more, that I did for RR2, since I don't mind paying for games. After that, if I can't get win enough to play something or get a car, then I won't play the game, and I'll probably stop playing it. I enjoy it right now. I really like Mount Panorama :D

My biggest complaint is that on an iPad3 after iOS7 was installed, performance was really degraded. I'm even seeing phantom cars pop up momentarily in the middle of Endurance trials. I need to tweak the settings all around to find the best combination.

Last edited:
Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I really don't mean to be rude, but if you drive well in this game you won't find yourself making any IAP. There's always something to do/drive with, and as the lower-end cars only take a minute to service (unlock them/drive them when your more expensive ones are being serviced), then you'll be absolutely fine. RR is actually excellent in that IAP don't have a mandatory part to play. You drive well, you win. You get frustrated at the challenge, then you will end up constantly retrying and cursing the IAP model for 'forcing' you to pay, rather than to wait. Simple as that.

Comment

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
EA has ruined Real Racing 3 and Plants vs Zombies 2.

Freemium brings three choices:

1. Constantly pay for a game.
2. Don't pay anything, but constantly be annoyed and delayed.
3. Play some other game that doesn't have this BS in the first place.

I choose #3. RR and PvZ are dead to me.

Comment

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
You are able to hack Real Racing 3 for iOS and forget about purchasing Gold Coins, etc. There is no need to Jail Break the device. I was able to do this and get 2.6 billion coins. But the problem is that the maker of the game realized this and the only way to get to some Levels/Cars is to achieve trophies which sucks but what can you do. No worry about pay to play.

Comment

Uncle Ruckus

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Well luckily my iPhone is JB & I've got iap crack so I don't worry about those stupid price tag EA has put up. F EA

Comment

John Ko.

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
I really don't mean to be rude, but if you drive well in this game you won't find yourself making any IAP. There's always something to do/drive with, and as the lower-end cars only take a minute to service (unlock them/drive them when your more expensive ones are being serviced), then you'll be absolutely fine. RR is actually excellent in that IAP don't have a mandatory part to play. You drive well, you win. You get frustrated at the challenge, then you will end up constantly retrying and cursing the IAP model for 'forcing' you to pay, rather than to wait. Simple as that.

I couldn't agree more. I'm up to level 158 and about 70% through the game and I've never made an IAP. There's always a series or two I'm working on and I farm for R$ and Fame if I'm waiting for cars to be serviced.
1.4 has seen a 30-40% increase in R$ and Gold and the crew is good. I played Accolade Open round 22 Suzuka (the highest paying event) this morning with the Manager and the Agent. Scored about R$127,000 (with Friend bonus) and 11,000 Fame :)
Haven't progressed to the Ferrari series yet, but looking forward to it.

See ya on the track ;)

John Ko.

Comment

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
Does anybody know what the the rewards are if you place well in the new time trial tournaments?

I haven't unlocked the faster cars yet (because I erased my profile and started over recently) so I've got a really bad score. I'd like to know what kind of R$/G I'd win if I was fairly high up on the leaderboard.

Comment

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Does anybody know what the the rewards are if you place well in the new time trial tournaments?

I haven't unlocked the faster cars yet (because I erased my profile and started over recently) so I've got a really bad score. I'd like to know what kind of R$/G I'd win if I was fairly high up on the leaderboard.

At the bottom of the tournament summary where it shows what letter group you are in, it also shows an amount of $R which I presume is what everyone in that group will receive at the end of the tournament. They also mentioned some Gold will also be given out, but I can't tell how much.

Comment

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
At the bottom of the tournament summary where it shows what letter group you are in, it also shows an amount of $R which I presume is what everyone in that group will receive at the end of the tournament. They also mentioned some Gold will also be given out, but I can't tell how much.
Yeah I can see that, but since I haven't unlocked any good cars yet for one of the time trials that needs one, my ranking is very low - and I get hardly any reward.

There doesn't seem to be any way to scroll over and see what the rewards are for A/B/C.

Comment

heavy67

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
I couldn't agree more. I'm up to level 158 and about 70% through the game and I've never made an IAP. There's always a series or two I'm working on and I farm for R$ and Fame if I'm waiting for cars to be serviced.
1.4 has seen a 30-40% increase in R$ and Gold and the crew is good. I played Accolade Open round 22 Suzuka (the highest paying event) this morning with the Manager and the Agent. Scored about R$127,000 (with Friend bonus) and 11,000 Fame :)
Haven't progressed to the Ferrari series yet, but looking forward to it.

See ya on the track ;)

John Ko.

Lots of money to made....I am still on version 1.3.0 and just pulled in over $279,000 and 25,000 fame points in one race ....I love the 69 Charger Endurance Race @ IMS...every 10 miles or so the computer cars start going kamikaze!!!

Comment

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Any?

Are there any auto driving/racing games for iOS that don't resort to all these gimmicks and annoying interruptions?

I would be glad to pay a few bucks for a real game that does not have ads or in game purchases.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.