Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I loved Real Racing 2, but on my iPad 3 the frame rate in RR3 is a little bit too low.

Worse than that though, the game just seemed a bit boring compared to RR2 - maybe it was because I had to be much more careful not to damage my car.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
The Panorama track is awesome, got to that one last night.

In the first series, there is a race specially for the Ford Focus. Well I have the Silvia and do not plan on buying the Focus. I hope that does not stop me from completing the first series 100%.

+1 on the Panorama track! I like the addition of noticeable elevation change in several of the tracks compared to RR2.

You've probably figured out by now that you'll have to buy the Focus. I was avoiding it, and then got a good deal ;) on the Dodge that I couldn't pass up. I ended up having to buy the Focus, too. Now, it looks like I'll have to redo some races to earn enough $$ to get the Beemer (otherwise done with the first circuit).

Regards,
Tom (who for the first time had a low battery shutdown today)

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
As soon as I heard about the IAP I said no chance. Not even worth the free download to try it out

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
As soon as I heard about the IAP I said no chance. Not even worth the free download to try it out

You don't have to purchase anything. Just race your way through all the series and collect both money and gold.
All you need is patience - racing skills also help ;-)

----------

+1 on the Panorama track! I like the addition of noticeable elevation change in several of the tracks compared to RR2.

You've probably figured out by now that you'll have to buy the Focus. I was avoiding it, and then got a good deal ;) on the Dodge that I couldn't pass up. I ended up having to buy the Focus, too. Now, it looks like I'll have to redo some races to earn enough $$ to get the Beemer (otherwise done with the first circuit).

Regards,
Tom (who for the first time had a low battery shutdown today)

Hehe, you Americans and your Beemers :p
There are more models for sale in higher series, so no worries.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Hehe, you Americans and your Beemers :p

What can I say? It's the only way to finish the first series...until I figured out I can start the second series without finishing the first! Just took delivery of my Skyline GTR! :cool: The Beemer will just have to wait.

And there are worse ways to earn money than turning silver into gold on previous races.

Regards,
Tom

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I am discovering that if you just play the game and participate in multiple racing series that you can earn enough money to buy any car in the game and beat other racers. The game initially feels like you need to spend money to win, but this is not true at all - looking forward to completing all of this game without spending a dime! - just to stick it to EA - EA could of had $10, but instead will get nothing for their hard work :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Because of the showcase races for each car in the first series, I guess you cannot get to 100% complete without buying each of those to compete. I am not doing that, spending the money when I have the Silva which lets me race in all the other ones.

And I bought the Skyline for the next series and it let's me race in that one without completing the first series totally so .....

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Because of the showcase races for each car in the first series, I guess you cannot get to 100% complete without buying each of those to compete. I am not doing that, spending the money when I have the Silva which lets me race in all the other ones.

And I bought the Skyline for the next series and it let's me race in that one without completing the first series totally so .....

Yeah, now that I figured that out it's, well...off to the races!

Something I made great use of in RR2 was somebody's compilation of car data, showing # of cylinders, "Power" rating (default and max), top speed, etc. Since some of these were criteria for entering a race, it helped to plan car purchases (minimize the # of car purchases necessary to complete your career). I wonder if a similar compilation is (will be) available to help maximize gameplay for a minimum of car purchases.

So, where's everybody at? I own:

Skyline GT-R (180 mph)
Ford Focus (168 mph)
Dodge Challenger R/T (180 mph)
Silvia S15 (164 mph)

Completion:
Pro/Am World Series
Pure Stock 88%
Street Spec 31%

I'm a Level 17 driver with $37k in the bank, and looking for my next car purchase soon. What should I buy?

Regards,
Tom

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I loved Real Racing 2, but on my iPad 3 the frame rate in RR3 is a little bit too low.

Worse than that though, the game just seemed a bit boring compared to RR2 - maybe it was because I had to be much more careful not to damage my car.

I wish developers would optimize their apps more to take advantage of the graphics chip in the iPad 3/4. There's certainly not a lack of power.

Jag Jaeger

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Gujarat, India
I also love to play Racing Games and I use to play NFS and I had played all versions of NFS and still I am eager to play same. I don't know why I like to play NFS again and again? If new version is going to launch then I immediately play buying same otherwise in free time I use to play older versions repeatedly on my iPad2.

missinginstereo

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
Excellent game, excellent graphics but you'll need a 4th gen device to get the best out of it.
I thought Contract Killer was cynical but this game is beyond cynical. Whilst servicing and repairs is a nice touch of realism they eat away at your funds, as does spending the premium currency on rushing through repairs or upgrades (some take over 6 hours!!). What's more, the opponents seem geared to do you damage and often pen you against walls.
You can't sell cars like you could in the last one which is really annoying. Each series of events only have 4 cars that can race. At the beginning they are evenly matched but, later you have a choice of spending 50k on a car that can do 155mph or 127k on a car that can do 190mph.
The one thing that's really bugged me is there's no qualification for cup races which means what? Most races are 3 laps and so you have 3 laps to get from last to first which often means you have to race VERY aggressively to get ahead meaning more damage, more cost and slower progress.
What saves this game is that it is very good. The graphics and controls are outstanding and so you don't mind playing it a lot. That being said, i've not had to save up for a 2 million quid super car yet so while you might get a lot of joy out of the game, you'll probably not complete it without IAP's before the next one comes out.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I've been enjoying it a lot, and being frustrated as much at times lol.

Here's where I am right now:

Lvl - 56 (40hrs 52mins)

201 Trophies
Gold - 193
Silver - 8
Bronze - 0

Cars - 20

• Ford Focus RS
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RS
  • BMW M6 Coupe
  • Nissan Silvia [S15]
  • Dodge Challenger R/T
  • BMW 1 Series M Coupe
  • Audi R8 LMS Ultra
  • BMW Z4 SDrive35IS
  • Nissan 350Z [Z33]
  • BMW M3 GTS
  • Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR-X
  • BMW M Coupe
  • Dodge Challenger SRT8
  • Nissan 370Z [Z34]
  • Ford Shelby GT500
  • Nissan Skyline Gt-R V-Spec [R34]
  • BMW M3 Coupe
  • Lamborghini Gallardo LP5600-4
  • Porsche 918 RSR Concept
  • Audi TT RS Coupe

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Here's where I am right now...
Impressive! Did it take any IAPs to get all those cars? It'll take me forever to get that many AND upgrade them to stay competitive!

And ditto the comments on lack of qualifiers. I hope they add that back in. Sometimes it feels like I barely break even on a race after car repairs!

Regards,
Tom

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Impressive! Did it take any IAPs to get all those cars? It'll take me forever to get that many AND upgrade them to stay competitive!

And ditto the comments on lack of qualifiers. I hope they add that back in. Sometimes it feels like I barely break even on a race after car repairs!

Regards,
Tom

Honestly, yes I did use IAP once, and then did some free offers for a LOT of gold. However, I think it would have been just as easy, just a little longer on the time line, to get where I am w/o any IAP or extra gold.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I'm loving RR3 at the moment, but getting slightly bored of the tracks, wish there was more.

Got 7 cars at the moment using no in app purchases.

97 events of 961 completed.

Gold - 63
Silver - 15
Bronze - 13

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I am also loving RR3 - haven't paid any money to EA and have earned:

21/46 Cars
Current Cash: $460,028
Total Cash Earned: $2,292,940
Current Gold: 75
Total Gold Earned: 320
23/65 Achievements
319/961 Events Completed
579 Total Races
263 Total Trophies

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm playing on iPad 3; graphics is ok/great.
Meanwhile I have seven cars; not much virtual money. The waiting time is really disturbing; sometimes 30 or 40 min. But the good thing is: it actually force you to have a break while gaming and do other things. Read MR, prepare food, do the laundry etc. once those daily tasks are done the repair is done, too. From that point of view it's ok. Still hate to wait. ;)

Will I ever spend real money to buy points ? Nope. :D

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If you do not want to wait, buy two cars for the same series so you can race the other one instead. Or just go to another series that allows you to race with what you bought so there is strategy needless to say to avoid waiting.

For free, this game is awesome and I still have not spent a dime OOP.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I play on my iPad with retina (4th Gen.). The graphics are simply amazing and the gameplay is fantastic. The only thing I don't like is having to use real money for something other than the app purchase. I would rather pay an upfront fee rather than in-app purchases. However, this doesn't keep me from playing.

i haven't run into that problem. Repairs don't really take all that long at their normal speed. Certainly not so long that I feel the need to pay to speed things up. I just play another game until then

----------

Exactly. But the sad thing is that some poor kiddies will buy $100 IAPs by accident and EA will have its deal.

Only if their parents aren't paying attention. turn off IAP, take the credit card off the account, don't tell the kiddies the password or have one they can figure out etc.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Honestly, yes I did use IAP once, and then did some free offers for a LOT of gold. However, I think it would have been just as easy, just a little longer on the time line, to get where I am w/o any IAP or extra gold.
Good to hear it didn't take too much IAP - I don't foresee myself pulling out the wallet. But I keep thinking the door is going to close somehow on the free play, whether it's by EA tweaking the repair costs or times or something. I'm still having a good time with it now though.

I finally figured out how to do well on the "reach max speed in one lap" challenge, but it requires hitting the wall at max speed at the end of the longest straight run. :sad face:

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.