Real Reasoning for Pre-Order Delay???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Barbicide, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Barbicide macrumors newbie

I have spent too much time already reading the woes of the ATT debacle in delivering pre-ordered phones. In fact, I am currently on back order myself.

My question is this: How did this happen? Seriously? When did the words "pre-order" lose their meaning?

I am genuinely interested in a reasoned explanation, if there is one.

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I have several theories:

1) I think perhaps some of the early orders on the 7th actually failed to go through properly because AT&T's computers were overloaded. These dropped orders were batched up once they were discovered and fed back into the system on perhaps the 9th or 10th.

2) Orders were processed fine, but certain models of phone, say, "White 64GB" were more popular than they expected, so they ran out of them very early in the pre-order process, even though they had hundreds of thousands of "Black 16GB" models available.

Those are just my theories. Can't explain how I could order a phone in the FIRST hour of preorders and be on a 28 day waiting list now... It's ridiculous.

3. Barbicide thread starter macrumors newbie

There's should be no doubt that ATT's machines were getting worn out with all the traffic and to some degree, that's understandable.

I suppose a better way to phrase my question is this: Why didn't/hasn't ATT fulfilled pre-orders with in-store stock?

This seems to me a monumental fail in CS. One woman at ATT Corporate tried spreading the responsibility on Apple as well. Is there something to that? The only thing I have been told was that pre-orders outnumbered supply. Yet they were able to supply retail stores.

How does this make any sense?

4. Barbicide thread starter macrumors newbie

5. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

in store orders were never real preorders.

its as simple as that.

i personally believe upper management sent out a notice to the stores to cut off all preorders very early that morning (which explains why some instore preorders went through)

then they MADE everyone say 14-21 wait, due to the fact that they were not preorders but DIRECT FULFILLMENT orders (which your receipt says)

so due to Direct fulfillment, that means the stores INITIAL batch of phones must be depleted (by selling) and then they will send out the second shipment straight to your address....

that's why your in backordered hell. it maximizes sells for that store also, by ensuring that all phones go out the door fast as possible (they already have their second batch sold, get it?)

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga