Real sorry, but noob question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by --Wolf--, Nov 15, 2007.

1. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

My Touch will be here next week and the first thing I want to do is hack it.

I haven't been following the hacking stuff much and I'm not THAT computer literate BUT I have a couple of questions.

Should/Can I update the Touch to the latest version off iTunes?

Is there only one 'program' to hack it (ijailbreak I think? Or is that the best/easiest?)

When it says go to 'this site' and 'download this' I assume it means do it on the touch, not the pc?

Where (you'll hate me for not searching) can I find the simple noob steps for jailbreaking/hacking my Touch with the best/easiest program?

Also, is there anything I need to do before hacking the Touch?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ideally you would need the ipod to have version 1.1.1 (I haven't read about any ipods being shipped with 1.1.2 yet) if this is the case, point safari on the touch to jailbreakme.com scroll to bottom click install app tapp, give it a couple mins and at some point you should get a message saying downloading and a percentage going up.

the touch screen will either go blank or have you at the slide to unlock screen..... congrats your jailbroken.

next step go into the application on the touch called installer, when that opens (make sure your connected to net still before hand) click install. scroll through the list of catergories to near the bottom and click on Tweaks 1.1.1 and install OktoPrep. click ok on the pop up boxes and when it has installed you will be back at the catergories page under install.

now huck ipod up to pc load itunes download the latest update (1.1.2) and update ipod to 1.1.2 then its a case of downloading the 1.1.2 jailbreak, extract the files to a folder. Still keeping your touch connected to PC go to the folder you put the 1.1.2 jailbreak, run windows.bat (if you have windows) or the ocx file if you have mac, you should get a box up on screen with a bit of text a tick box and a button.

tick the install ssh button then press the jailbreak me (if thats what it says cant remember) and leave it for a while. When it has done a box will popup on screen saying its down, grab hold of your touch and hold the sleep/wake button (on the top of the touch) till you get slide to turn off, slide it ipod will turn off.

reboot the touch, when it has fully loaded up it will reboot itself again (dont panic this is normal) when it has rebooted your sorted. To install apps just use the installer.

If you would like the iPhone applications on the phone follow these simple steps (this works on 1.1.1 and 1.1.2):

make sure you are connected to wi-fi then
    open installer
    click on sources (bottom right corner of screen)
    click edit
    click add
    in the popup box put this address: http://repo.us.to and then ok
    if the sources page does not refresh click refresh
    click install
    scroll down to the see
    iPhone 1.1.1 Apps for... and iPhone 1.1.2 Apps for...
    if you have 1.1.1 then use the 1.1.1 catergory and same if your using 1.1.2

now you have a selection of the original iPhone applications.

if you wish to install the maps and mail make sure you also install the prep item for each aswell

happy jailbreaking if you need any help feel free to ask :)

3. Hamburger3 macrumors newbie

I have a quick question.

When you are at the "install ssh button then press the jailbreak me" bit and the install Iphone apps bit do you need to be connected to wifi ?

Thanks in advance and for the great guide.

:)

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

5. --Wolf-- thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I could not thank you enough. It all seems so much more simple than what I've been reading.

And is the jailbreakme.com thing the same jailbreak made by that 13 year old?

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Could you or someone amend the instructions to include the mac side of the house or if its already done point me in the right direction?

Thank you

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

no idea, I have seen the website on a few sites then I found someone on youtube who does videos on jailbreaking the touch and just turned that video into what I posted

michaelsviews: I dont have a mac, all I know is the 1.1.2 jailbreak comes with a ocx file which I believe is the same process as what I described with the windows.bat file