Real-Time DVD Recording/Burning

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by swwack91, Sep 6, 2008.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to begin taping several local high school football games. The coaches want the footage on DVD within 3 hours of the game. Which isn't a problem, I just need to get the DVD to the coaches.

So I came up with the idea to find a way to burn a DVD for them on the spot. I use a high-end miniDV camcorder and recording on a consumer-grade miniDVD camcorder is out of the question.

Here's the question:

Is there a device out there that records the video signal from a camera and burns it to DVD in realtime? Basically I'm looking for the recording portion of a consumer-grade DVD camcorder that accepts video input from an outside source.

The other requirement is for that device to be controlled by the camera (probably via FireWire) so that the DVD recording starts/stop in synch with the camera.

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, several DVD recorders accept a number of different inputs, including firewire.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but the key is that the DVD recorder will be controlled by the camera, starting and stopping the record with the start/stop of the camera.

if we need to wait until the end of the game to then record the tape onto DVD - the benefit would be lost.

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maybe even some kind of deck or recorder that accepts LANC input?

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I highly doubt you'll find something like this...

The DVD recorder is not going to start/stop with the camera. If it's just for review of the game, I'd run composite out of the camera into a regular set-top DVD recorder and just burn one disc for each half of the game.

6. -DH macrumors 65816

I'm not aware of any DVD recorder that is controllable by the camera's start/stop/pause function. Maybe sometime in the near future.

Meanwhile, you have these options:

A. Connect a stand-alone DVD recorder and pause/start it manually when you start/pause the camera.

B. Just record to tape, starting and pausing as you normally would. When you're done, connect a stand-alone DVD recorder to the camera and playback the tape while recording the DVD.

C. Record to a stand-alone DVD/HDD recorder with a built-in hard drive. When finished, cut out the parts you don't want, then copy from the hard drive to DVD.

D. Only work for coaches with more realistic expectations.

By the way, here's a handly, compact DVD recorder with Firewire input: http://tinyurl.com/63xpaz

-DH

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Contact Coach Bill Belichk, of the New England Patriots... he knows how to get his film by halftime.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I had a sony one that had a firewire input on it, I can't remember anymore, but I believe that it would pause when the camera paused.

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

lmao. as a Raider fan, one who is still severely bitter from losing the 'snowbowl', this comment just made my day.

to the OP< i think the suggestion of recording the 1st half to a DVD recorder at half time is great. Just switch tapes, let the recorder do its job, tape the 2nd half, then the 1st half should be on DVD, then record the 2nd half....45 minutes later or thereabouts, your coaches will have their DVDs.

But do explain that those are tight timelines. I know high school ball expectations are tight, but that timeframe is really pushing.

there is also the firestorm device (might have the name wrong) which is a hard drive attached to your camcorder...you could burn from there as there is no transfer time since the footage is digitized.

I still think the burn at half time is the best option. (he may not want 2 dvds I guess).

also suggest creating mp4 or avi files of the games as well. I imagine he has a laptop and may like having the files right there?
    Cheers,
    keebler