real time issue in FCP... advice please.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jimedit1, Jun 18, 2007.

1. jimedit1 macrumors member

I just upgraded to a 4core 2.66 mac pro with 5 gb of ram and a 1900x video card.

However, when editing in FCP I am still getting the ORANGE "unlimited" render line on certain clips when I try to playback in the timeline. It stops when it reaches those clips forcing a render and slower work flow.

The clips are uncompressed 640 x 480 with a data rate of 19.9 MB/sec.

I had the same problem on my PB G4 that I just replaced and assumed that this machine would not have the same problem.

Is there a setting, or hardware configuration that might remedy this??

Thanks.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

on your timeline's upper left corner, there is a pulldown menu where it says "RT"...

click there and it will probably be set to "Safe RT", change it to "Unlimited RT"

that should do it

3. jimedit1 thread starter macrumors member

no dice. It is set for unlimited. even low playback quality...
    hmm...

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Do your clip settings and sequence settings match?

Lethal

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

are there any filters and such that you are applying to the video?

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Which version of Final Cut are you running?

Run software update.

I've never heard of uncompressed 640x480, why such a low resolution?

7. jimedit1 thread starter macrumors member

no. there are no filters applied.

the uncompressed / resolution could be from how I imported it. I don't recall my capture settings at the time (imported a couple months ago). I think the original video source was so dark and unclear I may have deliberately captured to an uncompressed format in order to preserve it as much as possible.

It was a VHS, to DV, imported into FCP. Running FCP 5.1.4

8. jimedit1 thread starter macrumors member

ok. so.
    The sequence settings suggestion lead me to the manual where it states that multiple clip sources will inevitably lead to this problem which it claims is... just the way it is.

Unfortunately it is a promotional video that is using about 12 different sources.

SO. Either I can deal with it, or export those clips in a different format.

I guess I'll just deal with it.

If anybody has a suggestion that would allow the sequence to read the file without rendering regardless of its specifications, let me know. Otherwise, I think that pretty much does it. Thanks guys!

9. ReddBaronn macrumors newbie

FCP reply

Here's the deal:

It sounds like you have multiple sources that are different bit-rates / formats in a single timeline. In FCP 6 (FCP Studio 2), this problem with playback has been fixed. As one of the selling points of the program, this will not be patched in 5.1.4. So, if its a problem, your going to have to upgrade, which kinda sucks if you don't have an extra $1300 to burn. I will say that the upgrade is worth it in my opinion though, because you get motion 3, color, soundtrack, etc.

10. jimedit1 thread starter macrumors member

actually I purchased my current version from a crossgrade from 4.5... so to get the FCPS2 crossgrade should be about $400... or something like that. Well worth it in the future, but not today... :) thanks.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Uncompressed SD (which is 720 not 640) is pretty much as high quality as you can capture SD. Not exactly low res unless yer comparing it to high quality HD. ;)

How are you receiving the media to edit? And you mentioned going from VHS to DV. When you captured it did you use Firewire or do you have a capture card in your Mac?

If it was me personally I'd use the media manager to transcode everything to a single format. Having to keep re-rendering everything in the timeline would drive me up the wall not to mention add significant time to the edit.

Lethal