Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Never2L8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
LA area of Southern California
Scenario:
I just felt an earthquake;
Super loud helicopters are flying over my home (last time this happened, it was a murder);
I'm at work on break, and I just heard that there was a train crash because the engineer was texting;

I have yet to find an app that will inform us. I've tried ABC News, Emergency, and Scanner.

We need an app that will deliver local late breaking news! Developer, please hear us.

I work in an LA based town sandwiched by major studios. I find it absolutely amazing that when something major happens, we have no resource for information. Astounding... and this is not just an iPhone issue, it's also an internet issue. You have to wait for hours, maybe even a day before you can learn what happened.

If I'm missing something, please let me know. If not, then this is a need that really should be addressed.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Solution: Streaming Radio (AOL App or similar). Or just purchase an AM Radio to listen to your local all-news radio station.

TEG

Never2L8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
LA area of Southern California
Thank you. I am old enough to know what an AM radio is - hey, even a transistor radio, LOL. But, I am not old enough to sit at the kitchen table all day long tuned in to an AM radio. I have to work and (wow) I have an iPhone!

Could you be a little more specific about the streaming radio app. I am looking for a 24 hour live news station local to the LA area (or Southern California) that will broadcast disasters/and or breaking news. I am not looking for a streaming music station.

As I am typing this, my husband just found an app called Yahoo! Launch Cast Radio. A free app that gets KNX 1070. I'll check it out.

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.