Real trouble deciding which rMBP to get!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyp350, May 14, 2014.

1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

If anyone who has experience of the different models and what they are capable of/limited to and could give me some advice it'd be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would go for the top spec, dedicated video card rMBP but I'm really finding it hard to justify the cost. I currently have a very decent spec hackintosh which I can do all my heavy photo/video editing on. My original plan was to sell the hackintosh and replace it with the rMBP so that I'm only running one machine but I think I juggling the two wouldn't be too much of a hassle.
    Basically what I'm wondering is how the 13 inch rMBP perform for what I would be using it for if I were to keep my hackintosh for the heavier stuff, this would probably be mostly browsing, itunes, iPhoto and some light photoshop editing. I'm a bit concerned at going for a dual core CPU as I wouldn't normally consider a lower spec machine but they aren't cheap and I really am limited on what I can spend, however I really don't want anything that's going to be slow when performing the mentioned tasks.

----------

Also forgot to mention that I am only considering the retina macbook pros as the retina screen is one of the main reasons I am looking to get one.

2. Zmyslony macrumors newbie

Theres no problem at all in those tasks. Photoshop will work like a charm.

3. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback, in what sort of areas of computing tasks would I notice the difference in a quad core 15" model? I don't game so don't include that.

4. Zmyslony macrumors newbie

Man I don't mean to offend you but please don't ask so silly questions. As long as you don't make 1GB graphic files or open hundred of safari tabs then you're good to go. I mean if you wish to render 3D model or make short iMovie clips it will run Fine. If you wish to run bootcamp then you'll need the 256GB SSD. In other cases I advice to buy the cheapest one and buy external usb 3.0 1TB hard drive for around 70$ or so. The ram memory will be more than enough for pretty everything. The current rMBP 13" is pretty awesome but if you're not into gaming or so. Maybe you should think about MBA updated like last month with new haswell chips.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Get a refurbed rMBP and save hundreds. Get it on fall tax free weekend and save at least $100 in sales tax, depending on your state.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

The refurbed units have full warranty and are eligible for AppleCare. Best prices for AppleCare are at B&H.

if you want to purchase a new one, always check the AppleInsider price list before making the deal.

http://prices.appleinsider.com

6. bnr76 macrumors newbie

The current Macbook Pro also uses the Haswell chips.

7. Zmyslony macrumors newbie

Of course, I meant Previous MBA was little worse than now. Today there's only slight difference in performance between rMBP and MBA.

8. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's a silly question, quad core is pretty standard nowadays and lots of program's are designed with that in mind, I appreciate the advice though :) I've ruled out the MacBook Air as I want a retina display, I'm thinking the higher 13" pro is probably the way to go. A bit off topic but seeing as I am now keeping the hackintosh and not switching to one dedicated machine does anyone know an easy way to sync up iPhoto, so that I can keep my library up to date on both machines without having to download all my photos from camera on to each computer. I'm guessing this won't be an issue with my itunes as I have iTunes Match and I use dropbox for everything else so it's only iPhoto where I see this being problematic.

----------

Im in UK so that doesn't all apply to me but I'll definitely check what refurb apple UK have, thanks!

9. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Well, that's kind of both right and wrong.

The MBA is sort of the ultimate netbook. Tiny (11" especially), but doesn't really compromise on any normal tasks. I have a maxed out 2012 11" and I was amazed how it can handle final cut pro X editing 1080p footage, even on a 27" Apple display. The latest models will be even better.

The extra cores, clock speed, and graphics on the 15" MBP though will blow it away in certain benchmarks and uses. I have one, and TBH, the only real benefit I get is the 1TB SSD and the retina display. The thing is, 'light' use has gone in 10 years from simple web browsing and email to everything that isn't serious number crunching or top end gaming. What used to be the domain of a $10,000 workstation is now achievable with an ultralight notebook. The only person who can say what is worth it is you. Ultralight, perfectly good, or larger, expensive, and massively powerful?

David