Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
just curious what folks think what’s the use of Smart Invert colors?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
To give developers an API to support dark mode, which is not ready yet, so that when it debuts, a year, or a few months from now, there will be a large support from third party apps from day 1

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Have been keeping an eye on this with each passing iOS 11.x version/beta, and there has been minimal improvement since introduction.

I think there is real opportunity, particularly in moving to OLED displays. Apple updated a couple of their own apps (e.g., News which implements Smart Invert pretty well) but until it recognizes their own emojis I'll consider them not taking it seriously o_O

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
just curious what folks think what’s the use of Smart Invert colors?

The clue is in the fact it’s in Accessibilty settings. It’s for... wait for it... accessibility for people with vision disorders.

To give developers an API to support dark mode, which is not ready yet, so that when it debuts, a year, or a few months from now, there will be a large support from third party apps from day 1

Having developers selectively not invert resources in an accessibility mode is, in no way, a preparation for the kind of “dark mode” people here keep talking about. It’d do the exact opposite.

I don’t know how many times I’ve said this but “Dark Mode” has never been teased, previewed or promised by Apple in way, shape or form in iOS. It’s an internet fantasy.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
The clue is in the fact it’s in Accessibilty settings. It’s for... wait for it... accessibility for people with vision disorders.
You must be joking if you believe for a second that the Accessibilty section only includes options for people with disorders.

Just a few things within Accessibility:
-Auto-Brightness
-Home Button Settings (some)
-Siri Settings (some)
-3D Touch Settings (some)
-Vibration
-Call audio routing
-Phone noise cancellation

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You must be joking if you believe for a second that the Accessibilty section only includes options for people with disorders.

-Auto-Brightness
-Siri Settings (some)
-Vibration
-Call audio routing

All of which Apple set sensible defaults for and don't think you need to change them unless you have accessibility challenges.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
All of which Apple set sensible defaults for and don't think you need to change them unless you have accessibility challenges.
Same arguement could be made for pretty much ANY setting beyond the initial setup screens then. You were snarky and belittling in your reply to the OP’s question and I am simply pointing out that it’s not as clear and straight forward as you were trying to make it seem to the OP.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, to be fair, a number of those things can also just be personal preferences not related to any challenges or anything like that. For example someone that doesn't like or care for vibration for whatever reason. Or wants their home button to have lighter feedback (or harder feedback). Or doesn't want the shake to undo functionality. Or wants 3D Touch to require less (or more) pressure to activate, or perhaps have it off completely. Or have keyboard display lowercase letters. Or control Siri voice feedback so that it doesn't always come on but only does when the phone is not on silent. Or have reachability enabled (or not). Etc.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Well, to be fair, a number of those things can also just be personal preferences not related to any challenges or anything like that. For example someone that doesn't like or care for vibration for whatever reason. Or wants their home button to have lighter feedback (or harder feedback). Or doesn't want the shake to undo functionality. Or wants 3D Touch to require less (or more) pressure to activate, or perhaps have it off completely. Or have keyboard display lowercase letters. Or control Siri voice feedback so that it doesn't always come on but only does when the phone is not on silent. Or have reachability enabled (or not). Etc.
I will say that I don’t think Accessibilty is the right place (or name) for many of these Settings.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I will say that I don’t think Accessibilty is the right place (or name) for many of these Settings.
I think a lot of them are accessibility related, and some can basically be of multi-purpose (accessibility or preference). They can probably be divided up a bit more in the sense of being more "accessibility"-specific and more sort of "advanced" settings/preferences.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I think a lot of them are accessibility related, and some can be of basically multi-purpose (basically accessibility or preference). They can probably be divided up a bit more in the sense of being more "accessibility"-specific and more sort of "advanced" settings/preferences.
Exactly what I’m saying. The settings that you and I referenced should be somewhere else. As for the other settings in Accessibility, they belong where they are.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Its cool, but broken.
Doesnt work smartly with website images in safari.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
For the X time, I will repeat myself, smart invert colours is not intended to be a dark mode. Its for people (like me) who have visions problem and used invert colours frequently before. the "smart feature" is there to prevent users to constantly switching back and forth between invert and normal colours just to see pictures and videos correctly.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Same arguement could be made for pretty much ANY setting beyond the initial setup screens then. You were snarky and belittling in your reply to the OP’s question and I am simply pointing out that it’s not as clear and straight forward as you were trying to make it seem to the OP.

Respectfully, I disagree.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Personally, I think that Accessibility is also the hiding place for settings that get relocated randomly every time there is a major iOS upgrade. Apple is keeping us on our toes by making us ferret out which setting moved and where it's been hidden this time. (kidding, but only partly...)

Last edited:

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales

-Auto-Brightness
-Siri Settings (some)
-Vibration
-Call audio routing

Really can't understand why they moved auto brightness to Accessibility.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Probably because they feel it should be on by default and people shouldn't need to change it unless it somehow really gets in their way and impacts their use of the device.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Maybe because of the X OLED screen. No OLED expert but I assume it‘s not healthy if people crank up the brightness and leave it there permanently. Better to tuck the setting away for the tech illiterate people that don‘t know better. That and to increase battery life.
It‘s the same reason they changed the control center wifi/bluetooth behavior. People negatively impact their phones capabilities because they don‘t know better.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Maybe because of the X OLED screen. No OLED expert but I assume it‘s not healthy if people crank up the brightness and leave it there permanently. Better to tuck the setting away for the tech illiterate people that don‘t know better. That and to increase battery life.
It‘s the same reason they changed the control center wifi/bluetooth behavior. People negatively impact their phones capabilities because they don‘t know better.
There may be some truth to that as Apple recommends not turning up your brightness to extremes for any duration of time to prevent burn in. Still though, just makes it harder for these “tech illiterates” to turn the setting back on too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.