Real widgets and stuff

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darwing, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey guys okay so I have the new 4S and I love it it's really fast really smooth everything works amazing however obviously I'm missing the jailbreak.

I was playing with an android the other day and I noticed how you can have the seven different screens just by pinching through the middle and then you can have several different widgets so RSS feeds twitter Facebook nice clean weather widgets etc.

I'm just so sick of the iOS platform it's smooth it's nice but the android seems to have a realism to it not a cartoony feel like the iOS plus the widgets look beautiful
    Do you think that iOS will ever have something such as that?

2. MacJones macrumors 6502

Some widgets are ok like sports and weather but for the most part they're just a waste of space and not worth switching platforms for. Android as a whole, at least currently, is a laggy mess. Once the novelty of having a new device wears off Android's little annoying issues outweigh anything positive on that platform. Anyway how I see it Android is just a cheap copy of iOS and Apple doesn't need to take any cues from Google although I will admit the notifications were worth borrowing from Android. Maybe allowing 3rd party widgets in notification center would be ok but not on the home screens.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't know what's the fascination w/ widgets on a phone to be honest. They waste memory and battery and realistically you are not going to be checking the weather every time you open your phone, nor any of the other widgets... You can have your widgets like weather and stocks inside the notification center in iOS 5; don't know what else you want in a widget that you can't get by opening an app except switches to turn stuff on/off? :confused:

4. yourmother macrumors regular

I agree with the OP. Every year the iOS updates are fairly minor while the android updates seem more dynamic or more major. I really like ice cream sandwich and hope the more simplified transparent android trend continues. I still havent found the right android phone that's right for me and I'm still nervous about changing ecosystems so I'll wait.

I really like Apple and I just upgraded to a 64 iPhone 4s from a 3GS but in all honesty besides batterylife it doesn't FEEL like that big of a change which I was hoping for. I was hoping to be blown away or at least thoroughly impressed but I feel more satistified than anything else. However maybe that's just me and some people don't want a big change when switching phones.