Real-world battery life for non-TB Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badlydrawnboy, Nov 14, 2016.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I've seen a few battery tests for the non-TB Macbook Pro, but I'd like to know what people are seeing in typical, everyday usage.

I'm trying to decide between this and the TB version, and battery life is one of the major factors in my decision.

Thanks.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm seeing right at 11 hours. That is surfing the web, watching a few videos here and there, and using office.

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. That's helpful.

My guess is that the TB version will be more like 9 hours then. That will make my decision harder. I have a 2013 MBA that still gets 11-12 hours, and I really appreciate those extra couple hours.

4. mattopotamus, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would wait for feedback on the TB version. The Verge said they were getting around 6 hours with light usage. Apple sent them a second unit b.c they thought it was defective, and it was the same story.

5. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

With light usage like browsing the web I've experienced about 10 to 11 hours.
    When pushing it with coding, VMs and testing I will drain it in 4 hours, but that's to be expected.

Via Bootcamp (I've cleaned up unnecessary stuff like Cortana) I'm getting about 7 hours of light usage, which is somewhat disappointing. I've checked CPU stats, energy settings and so on and it's clocking down correctly, no issue there. When I compare it with my friend's 12" MacBook 2016 which delivers the same battery life in Bootcamp as in OS X, there has to be something wrong. I was expecting at least 9 hours.

6. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow! If that's true it's a huge step backwards. I'll definitely be going with the non-TB version.

7. Garage Battle macrumors regular

Garage Battle

my gut says - windows doing lots of early indexing, updating, etc.

but then again windows is such a POS piece of malware it might be a single update that makes the difference you are seeing.

8. fokmik macrumors 68030